Installing gears/changing to posi - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2002, 01:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Installing gears/changing to posi

I have a Ford 8" rear end in my '36 Ford p/u. It is out of a 63-65 Fairlane. I am under the assumption that the gear ratio is 2.80 or 3.00. I am looking to increase the ratio to the neighborhood of 3.50 or so. I would also like to make the rearend a posi setup at the same time. Is this a lot of work, or can someone with above average mechanical skills handle the task? Any idea on cost? Most of all any special tools required?

Finally, should I even bother or try to find a Ford 9", and transfer my 5-link setup over? My current rear end is 52" wide.

Thanks in advance for your responses

Strick

[ July 02, 2002: Message edited by: Strick ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2002, 04:58 PM
you're killin me buck!

Last photo:

the ford 8 and 9 inch are some of the easiest to work on. you can do it your self.
you will need a magnetic base dial indicator, an inch lbs. dial type torque wrench. and common hand tools.
the hardest part is getting the thing out.
if you need the specs for the 8 inch i would be glad to help.
oh, you will need gear marking paste ( just use red lipstick)
Old 07-03-2002, 10:27 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

You'll need an installation kit for an 8 inch rear end, you can pick up one of those from summit. Its a good idea to have one, it comes with shims, seals and gaskets for your 8 inch. You also will need a collection of deep sockets and a good ratchet, a good torque wrench and a dial indicator like axle bastard said. Also get a BFH (big f*cking hammer) to knock off the ring gear from the ring gear carrier. Also, go out and get a shop manual from any car with an 8 inch rear, (mustang, fairlane, falcon) this will give you step by step instructions on what to do and also torque specs. Probably the hardest part of the deal would be setting the backlash on the ring gear. You would do this by tightening or loosening the adjusting rings on the side. This brings the ring gear nearer or farther away from the pinion to set the backlash. The thing thats difficult about it though is once you tighten the bearing caps the readings change. Pretty much if you can think in 3-dimensional thought and follow directions carefully you will have no problem. If you have any questions, dont be afraid to ask.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.