Installing harmonic balancer on small block chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 05:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Installing harmonic balancer on small block chevy

I am new to assembling engines and I have a question about installing the harmonic balancer on a SBC. I have a 1-peice rear main GM 350 crate engine that is going in my 56 Chevy. I bought the balancer installation tool and did some research including watching some videos online before installing it. One of the videos from Proform tools made it appear that it takes everything you have to wrench it on there. It even said when you think its all the way you still have more to go. Well, mine was either not quite that hard or the gym is paying off because once mine got tight, i cranked on it probably a whole complete turn before snapping the tool in half. I am pretty confident that the balancer is seated on the crank but my question is could I have damaged the crank forcing the tool to go another turn or did the tool take all of the stress? The crank and water pump pulley line up perfectly so I think it is good to go. I'm just concerned about it and want to make sure I did not screw anything up. I was able to get the broken tool out of the crank.

Thanks,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 06:09 PM
More for Less Racer

You didn't hurt the crank at all. No worries there. The ProForm tool isn't the strongest, I've seen them broke before if care isn't taken using them.

Don't forget to install the balancer bolt, 60-65 ft.lbs torque
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 PM

you broke the tool so looks like the gym is paying off. Some balancers are loose, some are tight. Over the years I've had a few balancers that wouldn't got on at all and some that went on with a few taps. If you get a crank that's on the larger side of spec and a balancer that is on the smaller side it will be difficult to install. I usually use some emery paper on the crank and balancer to smooth and debur. Sometimes that's all it takes for a smoother install.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 AM

Last journal entry: my first build
Last photo:

ya your harmonic balancer may be a tight fit so maybe honing of the entry slot may help the situation?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.