Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Installing headliner on Rod Doors abs panel 49 ford truck?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dan,
Thanks for your responses and advice. I read some of your postings and you have really helped many including me.
I don't sew so I need to have a local guy do the sewing to accommodate an overhead radio (I also bought an ABS enclosure for an overhead radio that I cemented to the headliner). Then I will start at the middle (front to back) as you suggest. I had not thought of cementing as wide a strip in the middle and then letting it fully dry before going after those corners, good advice. Do you let the glue get tacky on both surfaces almost to dry before you smooth the headliner to the panel? On those corners it almost seems like You want it a little less dry to allow some ability to move the fabric once down to work the fabric into position. Yes?
My experience with I think basically the same Weldwood/Dap contact cement is laying down Formica (laminate) on kitchen counters. In those cases you place an intervening layer of paper or a series of thin sticks to prevent the laminate from grabbing before it is properly positioned. My first experience doing it was a few years ago, 1969!

Last edited by 49willard; 05-07-2013 at 04:39 AM.