installing hinge bushings/pins - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2006, 05:25 PM

Last journal entry: Long Time away
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

installing hinge bushings/pins

I decided to replace the hinge pins and bushings on my 72 gremlin. i bought everything from a dealer, kennedy AMC. I tried pressing the bushings, but ended up destroying the first one so i asked around, and someone recomended that i freeze the bushings then press them in. that worked well on the first one, but the second one split. i decided to see how it would work even with the split bushing, but now the bushings seem to have shrunk and i can no longer push the pin through them. Waht am i doing wrong and what can i do to get it to work?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,152 Posts
I have no idea if your Gremlin bushings (I have always loved those darn funny looking cars) are the same but this really isn't a big deal.

Put a bolt thru the bushing with a washer at the top. Put the bolt thru the hole in the hinge and put a socket that the bushing will go into as it is pulled thru and another washer and nut.Tighten up the nut on the bolt and it will pull the bushing into place. I do it on all kinds of bushing all the time, just recently did a Chevy S-10.

Hey, another tip of the day!

Brian
Old 01-03-2006, 06:38 AM

Last photo:

Some of these bushing kits really don't fit that well, and I've seen where the bushings were misimatched with the pins when packaged. Nowadays I usually just go to Napa with the hinge or old bushings/pins and test fit the bushings to the pins. You want to make sure you've got a good fit bushing to pin and bushing to hinge, if there's much slop in the assembly after you're done rebuilding it then it won't last long. Use a good moly grease when you reassemble them.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,152 Posts
Yeah, I have had to run a file thru the hole a few times to make big enough for the bushing. It should fit TIGHT, but of course it has to be able to go in.

As far as mismatched bushings, we were delivered the wrong ones for one of the other techs, be broke two before he listened to me and accepted that they were wrong. We talked to the parts department and got the correct ones.

So Yeah, there is always the possibility that they are wrong or some "massaging" needs to be done.

Brian
Old 01-03-2006, 01:52 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Next time go to NAPA or wherever and get a GM bushing kit. The AMC bushing is slightly smaller, but a round file or drill bit fixes that little problem. You'll have to drill the hinge out for the slightly larger pin too, but that's more help than hurt in the end.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.