Installing kill switch - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oh

ooohhh. ok, so basically you run the wires like the drawing i attached, but to be able to flick the switch "down", you leave extra slack on the wire so you can turn it 180 degrees. is that right?

*edit*
was posting when your replied. i think this is right now, i hope... lol
Attached Images
File Type: png switches2.png (48.4 KB, 52 views)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrcan
ooohhh. ok, so basically you run the wires like the drawing i attached, but to be able to flick the switch "down", you leave extra slack on the wire so you can turn it 180 degrees. is that right?

*edit*
was posting when your replied. i think this is right now, i hope... lol
Yep, I think you're getting the idea now. You wire it just like MY drawing, but if you make the jumpers between the switches too short then you won't be able to rotate the switches into your SECRET code of positions. Now I think you're getting it. In your modified drawing,the last switch when rotated will put the wire on the bottom side which would make the switch ON in the down position. Also with the center position being OFF, it adds more combinations for a wanna be crook. Do you feel like you got it now? Questions?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

thanks! youve been a LOT of help! Im going to try this out later today and ill post back tonight how it went
Old 06-08-2010, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

Ok Man

Build your switch panel, wire it and test it on the bench first. You can do it! olnolan
Old 06-08-2010, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

quick question, what do the 2 symbols at the bottom mean? They are by 30, 87, and 87a. It looks like "| |" and "|/|". also, the "IGN RELAY" is the relay that i need to buy correct?

Last edited by ericrcan; 06-08-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Contact Configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrcan
quick question, what do the 2 symbols at the bottom mean? They are by 30, 87, and 87a. It looks like "| |" and "|/|". also, the "IGN RELAY" is the relay that i need to buy correct?
They are the symbols used for contacts in a schematic. The first being the open bracket which means that contact in the relay is normally open.It closes when the relay coil is energized.

The second which is a closed bracket which means the contact is normally closed. It opens when the relay coil is energized.

Got it? Questions?
olnolan
Old 06-08-2010, 08:43 PM
406cu.in. of tire smokin' fun

Last journal entry: 406 Build Thread
Last photo:

I usually use the seat belt switch to close the ground side of a relay wired to the starter wire. If a theif breaks in and trys to "hot wire" the vehicle, is he really going to put his seatbelt on?

I've also used a reed switch to close the ground on a relay. You glue a reed switch behind the dash, A pillar trim, or console, and in order to activate the switch, you have to place a magnet over it. It's not real practical for a daily driver, but it gets the job done. I also use this to prevent people with shaved door handles from locking their keys in their cars. Hide the magnet in a wheel well and just touch it to the glass (where a reed switch is) and it closes the contact to the relay that controls the solenoid to open the door.

All of the above mentioned ideas work great, but none of them are worth a damn if a theif can figure them out. I'm not a theif, but usually the switches are installed in the dash and the panel would easily be pryed out with a screwdriver. It is usually pretty easy to figure out which two wires you would need to rip out and connect to bypass the security.

Whichever idea you choose, you do not ever take the wires AT the ignition switch. If a theif rips apart the column cover or lower dash and sees a wire that is cut with new wires spliced in and leading away from it, it's over. It doesn't matter where the wires go or what they go to, all they need to do is cut and reconnect and all of your security is bypassed.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice about the wires. I never thought of it that way, though I usually do it. But the reason I cut far from a certain area is just incase I mess up I can put another wire in between to 'patch' it.. lol..

Thanks OLNOLAN! i hooked it up and had it working great! Im going to be building my console soon (hopefully), and then will be able to put that in. Since my car looks like a lowrider (but without the hydraulics), the switches will never stand out. Here, every lowrider has either a box for switches, or a bunch of switches lined up right by the dash. you are a life saver OLNOLAN! Now time to solve my next issue..... lol

( if you wanted to look, its abuot mechanical and electric fuel pumps at once:
BOTH Mechanical and Electric fuel pumps )
Old 06-09-2010, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

no problem

Glad I could help ya, I might need your help in the future. olnolan

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.