Hot Rod Forum banner

installing L6-292 on camaro 76

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Husein-p 
#1 ·
hi

my car is chevy camaro 1976 with L6-250 engine

so i want to install new engine on my car but my new engine is 292 !

what needs to install 292 engine on camaro chassis ?

tnq

#2 ·
There are two fundamental differences between the 250 and 292. The first is the deck height. To accommodate the longer stroke, the 292 block (and thus the complete motor) is nearly 2" taller than the 250. This may be a problem with hood clearance on a Camaro. The second is the location of the passenger side motor mount. On the 250, the two mounts are directly across from each other. On the 292, the RH mount is offset forward from the LH mount. This means you'll need to move the frame mount in the Camaro to match.

Info and photos comparing the two motors can be found here.

#4 ·
They are two different motors. One is a big block.

The 250 is a a screamer meant for cars.

The 292 is a truck engine meant for torque.

Once you have the two engines side by side you will see the difference is more then deck height.

They are both very good reliable engines that laugh at abuse other engines would be blowing gaskets over. Headers are tight in a truck you might end up making your own in a car. If you get an aftermarket intake make sure you get one with provisions for coolant. It improves driveablity greatly.
Check the neck of the distributior the center retainer can wear. Cast headers through stovebolt are the best and not terribly expensive. They are massive compared to stock. Wish more companies made cast headers with improved flow instead of the junk out now.

Headers and starter clearance at the frame and firewall as well as break booster clearance with some intakes. Think it may just be the dual carb ones though.
The pan may play with your steering linkage also. Stock monojet intake and stock exhaust with center dump you should be fine clearance wise. It is the aftermarket stuff like rear dump headers and intakes that have slightly longer runners that you find issues.

If you have a manual transmission headers may mess with the clutch linkage. The stovebolt headers are in 2 pieces and the rear one dumps straight down next to the firewall. In the trucks you need to cut the manual linkage slightly so it does not hit the exhaust. Only a issue if you have manual linkage.
Because you need to do a 90 off that rear dump and the front drops at like a 30 degree it hangs a bit lower by design and 2.25 is about as big as you can go. I went 2.5. It just required putting a slight bump where the two pipes contacted. A bracket and some welding made it unnoticeable.

That's the fun in it though. Drop the thing in there and see what can be pushed and what will need to be replaced with different parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.