Installing MSD-6A Ignition... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 68
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Installing MSD-6A Ignition...

I've been advised to install one of these devices. I'm sure the directions are pretty simple to follow, but I was wondering if anyone cared to provide me with some lessons learned from their own experience putting one of these on a vehicle...

Thanks for any input provided...

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008, 06:41 AM
04SilveradoMykk's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 153
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMy355
I've been advised to install one of these devices. I'm sure the directions are pretty simple to follow, but I was wondering if anyone cared to provide me with some lessons learned from their own experience putting one of these on a vehicle...

Thanks for any input provided...
Find a dry area away from engine heat... I've had good luck up high on the firewall. That way it's a noticable part once you open the hood.

thats about it. It's a pretty straight forward install, and it has suggested spark plug gaps based on compression ratio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 68
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SilveradoMykk
Find a dry area away from engine heat... I've had good luck up high on the firewall. That way it's a noticable part once you open the hood.

thats about it. It's a pretty straight forward install, and it has suggested spark plug gaps based on compression ratio.
Good deal...

Thanks a lot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 AM
bubbahotep's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NYC
Age: 42
Posts: 487
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
very easy install. I forget if every wire is used or not but if you do have unused wires on the box I recommend not cutting them off. If you add parts in the future you might need those connections.

I use heat shrink tubing on all connections possible to avoid vibration loosening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 68
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahotep
very easy install. I forget if every wire is used or not but if you do have unused wires on the box I recommend not cutting them off. If you add parts in the future you might need those connections.

I use heat shrink tubing on all connections possible to avoid vibration loosening
Thanks for the advice...

Where would I find heat shrink tubing? Lowe's or someplace like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
bubbahotep's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NYC
Age: 42
Posts: 487
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
autoparts stores or radio shack. Use a hair dryer or lighter flame to shrink it. Even if you're just twisting 2 wires together I'd use it to prevent corrosion. They sell mixed size kits which are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 68
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahotep
autoparts stores or radio shack. Use a hair dryer or lighter flame to shrink it. Even if you're just twisting 2 wires together I'd use it to prevent corrosion. They sell mixed size kits which are good.
Sweet...

Thanks for the info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Msd Ignition questions old fords Electrical 5 08-14-2008 12:25 PM
msd ignition njbloodline666 Engine 2 11-24-2006 12:30 AM
New MSD 6AL Ignition Box, temp goes up 406chevelle Engine 4 08-13-2005 11:12 PM
MSD Ignition. Skunk Electrical 2 07-10-2005 05:26 PM
MSD 6A all that? 70bird Engine 7 03-13-2005 01:23 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.