installing MSD box,coil and distr. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 07:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

installing MSD box,coil and distr.

I pulled the old distr. at TDC I hope well it pointed to the #1 cyl after I plugged the plug hole with a finger and it blew it off. So I tried to drop the new distr. in and it either falls short of my mark or passes it, it only falls short by 1/2 inch or so kinda pointing at #3 cyl. Do I just drop it in and start it and then adjust time? Looking at the harmonic balancer the timing mark is pointing to 10 degrees retarded {past the 0 mark} can I screw something up by starting it or what should I do, I dropped the old one back in and it fell right into place? Is there a easy way to turn the oilpump without sticking a screwdriver into it, that is difficult to find the notch sometimes and then if I turn it too much when I try to turn it back it is not enough is there a trick to lining up the oil pump? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

There are other ways, like having a helper bump the starter as you drop in the dist., but the easiest way that doesn't rely on someone else doing something perfectly, is to just use a long s-driver and turn the pump drive just a bit. Try it. No? Turn it a bit more. Try it. Et cetera, until it simply drops perfectly in place.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

OK but will that not jump my time out, and is there a trick to getting the button in the exact place it should point?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokedout
OK but will that not jump my time out, and is there a trick to getting the button in the exact place it should point?
The oil pump has nothing to do with the timing. Just turn it a bit and test. Usually 2 or 3 tries will get it

Chet
Old 08-07-2009, 10:25 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokedout
If you have marked where you need the rotor to point, you should turn the rotor backwards so when the gears engage, the rotor will turn to the exact place it came from. I'm sure you've noticed how the rotor turns as you lift the distributor out of the engine- same thing occurs as the distributor is dropped into position in the engine, just in reverse.

The only snag in this, is that the oil pump drive shaft can sometimes be out of position to allow the distributor to fall into position the first time you try to install it. That is where turning the oil pump drive shaft w/a long screw driver, a bit at a time, until the distributor's drive tang matches the oil pump drive shaft's slot. Turning the oil pump drive shaft will not effect the timing.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:17 AM

Last photo:

Well I now have the distr installed, and I have fuel and sometimes FIRE backing up through the carb. And if I bump the motor to get the oil pump in line is what I mean by, "will it jump my time", I know if I turn the oil pump with a screwdriver it doesn't effect the time but if I bump the motor to drop the distr in to the oil pump slot it WILL move everything out of TDC, will it not? And I am guessing I am 180 out, is that because my piston was just a hare off of TDC? Should I remove the distr. and find TDC again and drop it in again and see if it is better, the distr button pointed to #1 or 5;30 standing in front of the motor,when I dropped it in, so I don't know if I should turn the cap slightly to find my sweet spot, or do I need to pull it and try again?
Old 08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Pull # 1 plug
Put finger over hole
bump engine until it blows finger off hole
Bring up timing mark
Drop distributor in pointing at # 1 plug wire
Start car
Set final timing

Chet

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.