Hot Rod Forum banner

Installing New Front Springs

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  horvath 
#1 ·
I've got a FatMan Mustang II IFS in my truck ...

I was investigating putting Bilstein shocks on my truck this week and found out they can't outfit me because my measurement from bottom of shock (center of eye) to top (pin) underside of mount is only 8 5/8" ... they told me I need to raise my front ONE inch and I'd be in business. My front DOES sit a bit low ...

So my question is, how do I determine what size springs to buy in order to raise me up an inch? Do I need to jack the front up, release the spring and measure to see what I've got ... and then buy something an inch longer? Or can I know what a spring will measure when it's compressed - sitting on my truck?

Maybe it would be best to buy new springs, install them, and THEN measure for new shock size?

Also!
:D
What's the procedure for changing springs? Simple enough for me to do myself? Just jack the truck up and remove some bolts, or what?

I'm at a loss about all this and need advice!

PS - I was told to buy .0596 diameter coil for the best ride (from a pal) - do you agree?

THANKS!

Alan
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/" target="_blank">54 Chevy Pickup</a>

[ June 05, 2003: Message edited by: horvath ]</p>

See less See more
#2 ·
Horvath...get a spring compressor. The type with the 2 fingers top and 2 fingers bottom. This goes inside the spring then start turning the bolt to compress the spring. This type contains the spring so as it will not let loose. A compressed spring turned loose can be a killer. Literally. Also I believe you meant .596 diameter coils instead of .0596. .596 is almost 5/8" diameter and .0596 is a little under 1/16". Anyways, use caution anytime you mess with coils.

Kevin

#5 ·
Why not just use the shocks you've got, OR, if they're bad, buy some Monroes or Gabriels and go on about your business. The truck looks fine as far as I'm concerned and you must be happy with it! Yes?
I would never consider doing major work on any vehicle of mine in order to use a product of a company that doesn't make a product to fit the vehicle as is. Shocks are wear-out parts which have life-time warranties if you keep your receipt.
Alan, you seem like such a nice, enthusiastic guy, but you sure are spending a whale of a lot of time and money working on your truck instead of enjoying it on the road. Just for fun,try driving the truck for a month without thinking about anything but the fun you're having...you'll like it, I promise!

#6 ·
Hey, Deuce ... I guess it's a matter of taste, but I wouldn't want it lower.

PasadenaHR ... Thanks, man. You're probably right - I just drove it up North Jersey and back today (an hour and 15 each way) and REALLY enjoyed everything that was going on! I was surprised how little I felt bumps in the road, too! So, I think you've put a good piece of sense in my head ... I'll skip the springs and Bilstein's for now. It's just that a pal was ranting about what a big difference the Bilstein shocks make and how they're better for my setup with the Mustang II, etc. And I'm the kind of guy who will go all out, obviously, when I'm into something. But you said it : I'm diggin' the truck! If it works, don't fix it!

The ONE thing that did confuse me on my trip was this shimmy thing I've got going on ... a SLIGHT shimmy at 60 - 70 mph (I wouldn't take it up higher) ... but here's the confusing part -- if I hit a strong downgrade or upgrade while it's shimmying, the shimmy goes away and it'll STAY away until I hit another strong upgrade or downgrade and then it comes back and stays until I hit another strong upgrade or downgrade. What is up with THAT??? I was going 60 and 70 mph with no shimmy at all ... and at other times with a shimmy.

At one point (I was traveling the Jersey Parkway) 15-20 Harley Davidson's surrounded me, some where giving me thumbs up, etc. -- what a blast that was!
:D

THANKS, guys.

Alan
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/" target="_blank">54 Chevy Pickup</a>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.