Installing Power Windows and Locks? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 03:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Installing Power Windows and Locks?

I'd like to install power windows and door locks in my '76 Chevy truck that has manual windows and locks in custom home-made door panels. The original ugly-*** molded plastic door panels are faded and have peeling spray paint (came this way).

If you have done this on the same vehicle (or close to it), I'd appreciate your advice on...

Which is better, after-market power window/lock (e.g., J.C. Whitney) or original equipment pulled from a wreck? How do I go about installing these (in a vehicle that did not come with them)?

Should I go with flat door panels and use fiber board like the old cars have, or go with some other backing material. What should I cover them with (vinyl, velour, ???) and should I go with tuck-n-roll or is there some other cool technique to covering door panels that I should try?

My daughter can do all the sewing -- she's an expert. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

door locks an power windows

i installed both power door locks and power windows on my wifes carravan. i bought on ebay. the window kits is a "spal" brand. and it was easy to install. the door locks were the kits that includes the remote entry. anso easy to install instruction very clear. if the window kit offers a heavy duty motor in the kit that is the one i would go with. take a look. good luck. some people don't like after market items of this type , but if i was not satisfied i would not recommend it. sedan delivery
Old 09-21-2005, 06:22 PM

power windows

i do this type of work all day at a dealership, and honestly you are alot better
of buying a complete kit new then to go with a junk yard, simply because the window regulators are usually rusted and the rivets on the pivot arms are worn out witch would cause the window to bind going up. two good options are www.itsasnapwireandcable.com or www.specialtypowerwindows.com
you could even try year one as well. what ever way you choose try to stay
towards a factory like installation, and make sure you run the proper gauge wire and fuse all power points.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, Michael!

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.