Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Installing Rear Main Seal - BBC
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 03:12 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldisorder
Sorry to open this thread back up but I am also rebuilding a BBC. Half of the people I have talked to say don't oil the rear main seal. Others say to oil the rear main seal. Which one is it?
I'm trying to remember what I did. I'm pretty sure I DID NOT oil the rear main seal halves. That is to say I did not oil the "outer" portion of the seal - the part that contacts the block. I DID however oil the seal itself, the inner part that contacts the crankshaft.

Remember to offset the parting lines on the 2 seal halves so they do NOT match up with the parting lines on the bearing caps and block.

If I recall. I believe the next day I took a tiny bit of black RTV and worked it around the rear main seal bearing cap just in case there was a leak between the bearing cap and the block that was not enclosed by the oil pan gasket.

Mine works fine with no leaks. But then again, I'm an idiot so consider yourself warned.

Good Luck

Lee