Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Installing Rear Main Seal - BBC
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 05:39 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383suburban
I just had a 383 stroker built and Im leaking from somewhere back there. The builder told me that he used a 1 piece seal. What ever he used, IT LEAKS! Im not sure its from the seal but its pissing me off! So do like these guys say, use some sealer!
I've got mine done but I havent run her yet so I don't know if she leaks. Mine is a 2-piece seal. I installed the 2 halves "offset" a bit, such that the parting lines do not match up with the parting lines in the block and main cap. I also put a thin film of RTV in "strategic" areas around the rear main cap. You don't want to put it between the main cap and the block, as that will increase bearing clearance, but there are places to use RTV back there where is "can't hurt" to do so. That's what I did. I also put a thin film of it at the ends of the seals such that when the 2 halves meet the ends will be sealed by the RTV. Also remember to lubricate the seal itself with some heavy oil or grease which serves to increase seal life, and act as a sealant.
That's my opinion anyway.

Lee