Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Installing rings w/o oil?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Resident Evil Penguin Wrangler

Wiki Edits: 0

Ok, let me set the record straight before I get anymore PM's/emails about this.

I never said I do the dry start thing. In fact, I have always done quite the opposite.

I brought this question up because after re-reading an engine article at project33.com, Sehr performance built his engine for him and stated that he builds all his engines this way. (Along with something about "this is the way NASCAR builders do it too...")

I never and will never try this method, like I said in my original post- I just fear the thought of dry metal to metal contact.
I suppose if people are doing it, it can be done, but I'm not willing to find out on my own.

I can see from the general response I recieved though, I am not the only one who thought this idea didn't sound too great. Call it old school, common sense, whatever you want - I just prefer there to be some kind of lubrication on moving parts.
Who knows, maybe we've been doing it all wrong for all these years. (Makes me wonder about priming the oil system before startup now... maybe thats not needed either. hehehe)