Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Installing roller cam in Vortec 400SBC
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 08:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Installing roller cam in Vortec 400SBC

I get asked this question a lot and there are a lot of ways to answer it.

Can a 400 SBC be installed in place of a Vortec 350 L31, using the Vortec heads, roller cam, the plastic front timing cover(that holds the crank position sensor) with the stock 4x reluctor underneath.
L31 reluctor wheel

Vortec timing cover left/older timing cover right

A Vortec block, notice where the bolt on camshaft retainer goes, this will be absent from a stock 400 SBC

So how do I retain the ROLLER cam in my Vortec headed 400SBC?
What compression would flattop pistons give with the 64cc Vortec chambers roughly, assuming conventional 400sbc gasket comnpressed thicknesses?

Also, the Vortec 350 uses a damper than is thinner than conventional dampers in oder to allow for the thickness of the reluctor wheel under the front timing cover. IIRC the Vortec 350 is a GEEN 1-E engine that uses a neutral damper with a counterweighted flexplate as its a 1 piece RMS engine. What would I need to use for a flexplate and damper as the 400 is a GEN 1 externally balanced engine with a 2 piece RMS.? If a weighted damper is needed I would have to run it in the lathe and trim down slightly. How would I get this attached to my 4l60e trans? Starter?

Thanks in advance guys, your answers will be helping many people beyond myself.

peace
Hog

Last edited by Hogg; 03-04-2013 at 09:00 AM.