Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Installing roller cam in Vortec 400SBC
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
I get asked this question a lot and there are a lot of ways to answer it.

Can a 400 SBC be installed in place of a Vortec 350 L31, using the Vortec heads, roller cam, the plastic front timing cover(that holds the crank position sensor) with the stock 4x reluctor underneath.

So how do I retain the ROLLER cam in my Vortec headed 400SBC?
What compression would flattop pistons give with the 64cc Vortec chambers roughly, assuming conventional 400sbc gasket comnpressed thicknesses?

Also, the Vortec 350 uses a damper than is thinner than conventional dampers in oder to allow for the thickness of the reluctor wheel under the front timing cover. IIRC the Vortec 350 is a GEEN 1-E engine that uses a neutral damper with a counterweighted flexplate as its a 1 piece RMS engine. What would I need to use for a flexplate and damper as the 400 is a GEN 1 externally balanced engine with a 2 piece RMS.? If a weighted damper is needed I would have to run it in the lathe and trim down slightly. How would I get this attached to my 4l60e trans? Starter?

Thanks in advance guys, your answers will be helping many people beyond myself.

peace
Hog
Some more info on the timing cover and damper: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...er_replacement

The Vortec neutral balanced damper has a shorter snout to allow for the reluctor wheel to fit. If you don't need the reluctor wheel, you can use a normal 400 balancer. If you need the reluctor wheel, the 400 balancer will need to be made shorter.

The cam would be retained using a cam button, like used for a retro roller cam setup.

The lifters that are supposed to work for this are the 2.2L, 3.1L or 3.4L Chevy engines. They're shorter, and require a pushrod about 7.5" long.

Some threads (I'm sure there are many more, these are two I bookmarked awhile back:
Roller Cam Conversion - ChevyTalk --The Social Network for Chevy Fans
retro hit hyd roller cam in oe roller block?

CR calculators