Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Installing roller cam in Vortec 400SBC
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
Hog, I've read this over a few times over the past couple days, finding it pretty interesting. I have not built a Gen I with a roller cam to use the plastic timing cover to get the reluctor sensor to run the L31 engine management system. As in the old Laugh In days, "Veeery Interesting"!

What I've done is to drill through the oil galley top into the oil passages that feed 2, 3,and 4 cam and main bearings tapping the upper casting and about 1/2 inch into the oil feed then making a 5/16th bolt for the application that has a reduced diameter where it passes inside the galley passage which extends into that portion that feeds into the upper oil passage. The intent is to provide a two point thread contact to keep the bolt from working on the threads in the upper portion of the main oil passage casting.

Bogie
I also find this "Verrrrry interrrrresting" lol

Let me see if I have this straight. You drill through the upper part of the oil galley, through the oil galley, and then continue drilling into the bottom surface of the oil galley?
Then you fab up a stud which threads through the upper surface, and into the lower surface. The stud area of the stud which is exposed to the oil galley is machined smaller(assuming no threads) so that oil flow is NOT impeded?

This would contrast simply drilling through the upper surface of the oil galley, tapping the same hole, then installing a stud into that hole?

Do I have this straight?

I guess it all comes down to cost. Do the 400 SBC with roller cam/reluctor wheel mods, OR use the Vortec 350 block and do an offest ground crank and overbore to make a 391-396 SBC.
I see that Speed-o-Motive offers these stroker kits but I have heard "stories" about their quality.

thanks

peace
Hog