installing a trans. shift point adjustment kit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Adjusting a TCI shift-point adjustment kit

For those of you familiar with my 350 turbo shifting problem, this is the consensus final possibility for repair. I have adjusted the kick-down cable,replaced (twice) and adjusted the vac modulator, and am now ready to replace the original transmission governor with an adjustable shift point kit from TCI. The kit comes with a variety of weights and springs. I am a little unsure of how to go about this. The instructions says that this kit will allow me to raise and lower the shift points.BUT; it doesn,t say if it changes the points at a normal acceleration, or when the accelerator is floored.I can live with it at a normal speed shift, but I would like it to down-shift when floored.This is not a simple change, so I would like an idea of how to go about this before I take it apart.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 01:05 PM

installing a trans. shift point adjustment kit

I have a 383 chev. with a built 350 turbo. I have been having problems getting it to shift properly.When starting from a stop and flooring the throttle it will rev. to 4000 and shift to 2nd,as soon as it hits 2nd, it then shifts to 3rd.If I am driving slowly and floor it, it will accelerate to 4000 and shift to 3rd.It will never down-shift to first. I have adjusted the kick-down cable, and replaced and adjusted the vac. mod. twice. I bought a TCI shift-point adjustment kit. The instructions say this will allow me to adjust the transmission shift points.It doesn't say if it changes the shift-points at full throttle or normal driving. I would like some kind of idea of which way to go. The kit has an assortment of 6 springs and six weights.They can be used as a pair or separately. This is a lot of choices. Any ideas would be great.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

i would tighten the kick-down cable a bit more and see if it changes anything first. but as far as the govenor goes, the springs affect light/part throttle shifts, the weights affect full throttle shifts.
on the springs, the lighter the spring, the later the shifts under light throttle will be. as far as the weights go, the heavier the weight, the sooner it will shift under full throttle.
just a quick question, with the throttle wide open, is there any slack in the kick-down cable?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 PM

Please excuse the double thread; I thought the first one was deleted.I have adjusted the kick-down cable so that when the throttle is floored, the cable is pulled tight. No slack or over pulled. I installed a new vac. modulator today and it seemed to help under normal acceleration; the shifts were happening at a later rpm which was an improvement. However it did not help as far as kicking down while cruising at any speed or rpm. It will kick-down from 3rd to 2nd ; but not from 2nd to 1st no matter what speed or rpm. I will try the weights and springs asap. Any suggestion as to which to try first; spring & weight ; weight only or spring only. Small adjustment, mid ?

Last edited by stanjr41; 07-22-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: left out information
Old 07-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I merged the threads.

basic governor operation and mods is:

the inner springs affect the shift points under 35 mph in light throttle shifts

Inner weights affect shift timing points over 35 mph in light throttle.

Obviously the 35 mph figure moves around some depending on the gear ratio / tire size of the vehicle

If you still still have a stacked shift problem in the 2-3 shift very quickly after the 1-2 shift... look at the cable for fullpull at WOT....

then look at the spring on the 2-3 shift valve in the valve body if you have not added a shift kit or have the v-body appart. This spring has been known to break apart or loose tension.

stea (09-14-2013)
Old 07-22-2009, 11:22 PM

I bought the trans. from Summit. It was built by Performance Automatic.It is rated at 550 hp and is supposed to have all the good parts.? It also has a 2500 rpm converter. On the rear of my car, the gears are approx.4.10s. The tires are 25 " in diameter. The kick-down cable is still receiving full pull. With the throttle floored, it shifts into 3rd at 4000 rpm , I would prefer 5-5500 rpm. Crosley; after reading you information,I think I will try 2 sizes lighter of each, than what is in there now. It may be a few days until I can do this so if anyone has suggestions, I could sure use it now! Also thanks tnsmith10; btw; tnsmith10 does your screen name have anything to do with sheetmetal, just wondering, I used to be.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:08 PM

The instructions also say to check the fluid level before driving after the adjustment. How much fluid will I lose? Should I use a big or small catch can? I hate surprises, especially with fluid.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:15 PM

BIG PROBLEMS! I jacked up my car and crawled under it to change the governor springs and weights. It is impossible to access the cover without dropping the trans. or cutting a big hole in the floorboard. There is absolutely no clearance around the trans. and the tunnel. Unless someone has an alternative plan, I will have to wait until I have a reason to drop the trans. or cut a hole. ANYONE with any kind of suggestion other than shifting gears manually will be my hero. Thanks; Stan

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.