Installing wood burning stove in garage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Installing wood burning stove in garage

I know there are insurance problems if you do not notify them...my question is the proper specs on running the chimmney pipe through the roof and what kind of insulation or fire walling is needed or required to do this. Im aware of the 3 ft. clearance above structure, once outside, just want to make sure all is safe inside from ceiling down. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 09:53 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi
check link, you'll have to click on where it reads "what is code"
they didn't like what's
Rich

http://www.nasdonline.org/search_res...&sa=Search#605
Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

My insurance co. told me it would double my rates if I installed one.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

my insurance company said they would drop me If i installed one. Many (all I called) will not allow a wood burning stove in a garage. No ifs, ands or buts.

I thought about installing one anyway but was concerned that if the house burned down would they still cover me even though the detached garage was still fine. Not worth the risk in my book.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 PM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

also take into consideration.........you will be probably using things like paint, thinner..........the fumes....BOOM!!!.......don't take a chance
Old 12-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
My insurance co. told me it would double my rates if I installed one.
That was 15 years ago, they are probably like the others now...will drop you if they know.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I installed woodstoves and fireplace inserts for about 15 years. EPA and UL approved stoves should be plenty safe to use under MOST circumstances if installed properly. Common sense should be used, of course, don't get a cloud of paint vapor and have a fire in your stove... Stoves are tested for clearances, the same with the class A pipe, follow the manufacturers recommendations and you should be good to go. I think I would question any insurance agents authority if he threatened to drop you from a policy for these reasons. I would NOT by some cheap junk from China! Nor would I buy a non EPA rated stove. These are rigorously tested for efficiency and safety. Make sure the stove has all the proper clearances and ratings, it should be on a tag on the back of the stove.

Class A pipe should be researched for your application and clearances. Generally, triple wall pipe uses air for cooling, and takes up more space, giving you less room to make your clearances. Class A with insulation is usually more money but may cut your clearances and make it easier to install. Double wall pipe on the inside connection to the class A will also cut clearances. Once again, you need to know the clearances from the stove manufacturer on the inside pipe, catalytic stoves may burn a bit hotter at the exhaust of the pipe. If you use non EPA or UL listed stoves and they don't give you clearances, the general rule is 3 feet from ANY combustibles. That means the stove and inside pipe.

I would not have, buy, use or install any Franklin type of stove, or any stove made outside the U.S. or Canada. Canada rules are the standards most companies adhere to when they build a stove. Franklin type of stoves are still available in some places, they're 3 legged pieces of junk and at one time were responsible for 60% of all home fires. Here's a good link for more info: here

If you do a search on this site, I have some decent instructions on how to install a woodstove, top to bottom. I like wood heat, be sensible and you'll be safe. Burn it hot to keep creosote down, clean it when needed.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

dinger, you are 100% correct but insurance companies still don't care. I know a properly installed stove used with common sense will provide years of safe heat but that doesn't matter to the insurance companies I talked to. They have no problem with me putting it in the house, just can't put it in a garage.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:58 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

heated my garage for yrs with only a woodstove. never had an insurance problem. use common sense. i never did paint during those yrs.

and remember: if you drop a can of thinner on the floor, you can't turn off a woodstove...
Old 12-04-2009, 07:13 AM

Last photo:

did your insurance company know about the wood stove in the garage? How long ago was this? What is your insurance company?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
heated my garage for yrs with only a woodstove. never had an insurance problem. use common sense. i never did paint during those yrs.

and remember: if you drop a can of thinner on the floor, you can't turn off a woodstove...
The woodstoves of today, EPA approved, are sealed units. If the door is closed, there's a minute chance of combustion like a spill.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:

Insurance companys frown on wood heaters in garages because...garages usually have things in there that have gasoline in them.....vehicals, lawn mowers, snowblowers, generators, weed eaters, chainsaws, etc. That makes it too high of a risk for them. Also if the garage is connected to the house....well , thats just more risk.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

we have a big wood burning furnace in our shop we built in 1994 and it is about that age also or a little older,. use it every day for about 4-5 months a year,

we put 3/8" cement board on the wall directly behind it and run the flue pipe straight up and over across the 14 foot high ceiling and over about 12 foot and out the side wall of the shop and then way up just above the second story roof

single wall pipe until the side wall then its insulated double wall pipe expensive stuff 100 bucks a section made in canada...

we just replaced it all last year because black tin pipe kept rotting out every year and staining the outside of the building horribly with rust orange..

we have had it overheated a few times and the exterior panels of the furnace are starting to bulge outwards and the inner walls are bulding inwards, but its still going strong, that sucker burns that hedge and oak and maple and hickory insanely hot!!

thermometer in the shop has bene over 100 quite a few times by accident..

dont ever need to run the blower motor because it does plenty well without it haha, but i will run it sometimes to thaw my hands out..

i dont know what he pays for insurance premiums on the building but its probably a little more than a usual shop yeah..

i want one for my building here but man its a fire hazard just the way it is now without a wood furnace and no provisions for one at all currently...

we cut our own trees and split it all up, many truck loads a couple weeks ago, we are good for a couple winter here now again yay.
free heat and a little work is good. but i need one over here also....
Old 12-18-2009, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

look into propane heaters northern tool. i have a 45,000 btu ceiling mounted, propane Mr. Heater. i love it, it's up and out of the way. it's quiet, and works well, the only thing i would have done is get the bigger one! i have an open ceiling, i needed room for my 2 post lift. if you don't have a chimney you can draft it out the side of the building! i had to buy a propane tank 100.00, copper line, 2 stage regulator, all the pipe and the gas hook up kit, i want to say around 600.00 complete. and you need a thermostat. it was cake to hook up, one afternoons worth of work. i highly recomend it for a garage because it has heat exchangers , so there is no open flame in garage.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.