insulating and drywalling the Garage - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2006, 02:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by montea
i just put some pictures up in my picture Gallery to show what the garage is like that im working on.. so cramped, 2 cars, quad, lots of tools hiding all over... almost got to walk over the car to get into the house
My friend it sounds like you are in over your head. Electrical is nothing to play with. Draw a picture of what you want and take it to an electrician and have it professionally done. Your insurance will not cover a cobbled job. Put in outlets where you use an extension cord. Welder 30 amps air compressor 30 amps doesn't leave much. Again go professional people at the hardware store are there to make money. I was in the same boat. bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2006, 02:40 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34chevy
My friend it sounds like you are in over your head. Electrical is nothing to play with. Draw a picture of what you want and take it to an electrician and have it professionally done. Your insurance will not cover a cobbled job. Put in outlets where you use an extension cord. Welder 30 amps air compressor 30 amps doesn't leave much. Again go professional people at the hardware store are there to make money. I was in the same boat. bill
im just ruffing in the electrical and letting a electrician do up all the ends and hook it all up, im basically just running wire and leaving open ends and attaching the outlet Boxes to the studs,

is a Electrician really needed to do that? i don't see How much better a electrician could do it. i don't know if you know or not that that is all i plan on doing myself but if you do and still think a Professional should be doing everything from installing the outlet boxes to running wires to wiring it up then pls let me know, i would hate to screw somthing up if it is somthing i should not be putting my hands on.

Ive read on the net/HR forum of people running the wire and getting the rest done by prof so i thought no harm in saving some money as this is going to cost enough without any electricial work
Old 03-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:

Shouldn't matter what the weather is like when installing insullation.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:58 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Chev
Shouldn't matter what the weather is like when installing insullation.
thanks, i was just worried about condensation getting stuck behind it. i just think to much somtimes.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:02 PM

34chevy

Hey dry waller! I'm not an electrician but it sounds like you are trying to get in over your head with the electrical. You have good ideas as to you wants. You are going to outsize your panel with the 240 Amps. You don't say what you are wanting to weld that would require such a high amperage welder. If you are wanting to weld light material such as on a vehicle you can use the wire feed that uses a 110 volt circuit and it would be 15 amps or 20 amps. Look at your garage and decide just exactly what you want mark the wall with where you would like to have an outlet. Remember you don't use each one all the time so you could over kill with outlets these are 15 amps each I used a 20 amp in my panel. Use an auxillary panel around 30 to 50 amps. The outlets have to be 4 foot from the floor so as not to cause a fire. Your insurance will be jeoprodized if you do it *** backwards. My advice to you is to talk to an electrician, not the hardware guy because he is there to make money for the company. (I found out the hardwaystill have the breakers and panel he suggested) Invest in a professional job., do the insulating and drywall yourself, place plastic behind it for additional insulation. Use 5/8s because it is fire retardsent and makes a better job. Tape and glaze the seams, apply a thin coat wait a couple days apply again wait apply again and wait. Sand in between coats. Make it look professional you and your friends will be proud of the job. I just built a 30 X 100 garage and it cost more than my house did but it looks professional for a do it yourself job.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:10 PM

34 chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montea
thanks, i was just worried about condensation getting stuck behind it. i just think to much somtimes.
Just make sure you add outside vents. The moisture comes from no air to dry the condensation.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:28 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

i only plan on using a welder for automotive 90% bodywork and the other time for the odd job. so i guess like you say the 110volt welder i have now will be fine for what im going to be doing.

i plan on 3 outlets 1 240 for a compressor and 2 120's

i actually would even not install anymore 120s as i got 2 and they have been fine but the odd time i got the 120V 15amp air compressor going, 5 4' double florescent lights, stereo, and power tool going at the same time and i feel like i am overloading it. so i think the 2 more 120 outlets coming in off of 1 line should be efficient and not overdone.

I will be talking to a electrician for sure

Also i find that is weird is the 2 120V outlets that are out there right now that were installed by the home builder are only 3 feet from the floor and it was done only 6 years ago

Thank you and everyone else for all the help its is very appreciated and please keep suggestions and tips coming!
Old 03-17-2006, 03:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

What size wire did you get? I was looking at a couple of shots in your gallery, and from what I'm seeing, I'm guessing it's 14-2 or 14-3 /with ground. Granted, it sounds like that is probably wiring that already is there, not some new stuff you just ran. In mine, it's 12-3 with ground minimum. I have 50ft. of 10-3 with ground that will run in a couple of stretches from a junction box to the main 100 amp panel in the garage.

As a note also, I would not touch any existing wiring in the garage if you are considering going as gung-ho as me. I have 3 outlets and 2 incandescant lights that are being left alone and on a separate circuit fed direct from the house. When you drill for the wire to pass through the 2x4s, make sure you cover the 2 by with a metal gusset to protect the wire. I ran out, so I can't show you one, but basically it is just a 16 or 14 gauge flat plate that has a pair of points on each end that you drive onto the stud. Money very well spent in terms of wire protection. You just never know when you will forget there's a wire that runs through someplace.

In a while, Chet.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:55 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
What size wire did you get? I was looking at a couple of shots in your gallery, and from what I'm seeing, I'm guessing it's 14-2 or 14-3 /with ground. Granted, it sounds like that is probably wiring that already is there, not some new stuff you just ran. In mine, it's 12-3 with ground minimum. I have 50ft. of 10-3 with ground that will run in a couple of stretches from a junction box to the main 100 amp panel in the garage.

As a note also, I would not touch any existing wiring in the garage if you are considering going as gung-ho as me. I have 3 outlets and 2 incandescant lights that are being left alone and on a separate circuit fed direct from the house. When you drill for the wire to pass through the 2x4s, make sure you cover the 2 by with a metal gusset to protect the wire. I ran out, so I can't show you one, but basically it is just a 16 or 14 gauge flat plate that has a pair of points on each end that you drive onto the stud. Money very well spent in terms of wire protection. You just never know when you will forget there's a wire that runs through someplace.

In a while, Chet.
in the picture of the wire coming through the outlet box that is 14-2 and i installed that today and ran the wire up the wall and across the celing on the side of a Beam and that is far as i want to deal with that right now as i would like to get the insulation and drywall up on that 1 wall and be done with it and then move the grand prix that i am storing to the other side and continue with the wiring and then the insulation and drywall.

The other picture of the actuall wiring up in the celing i just opened up to take a look and see how it was done of splitting a wire to go two differnt locations, i dont plan on doing anything at all with it.

i do not plan on touching any existing wiring in the Garage, i am just wanting to run 2 wires down to the basement, 1 for 120 and 1 for 240 and they will be connected up to the houses main power box as there is 6+ open places for breakers. the 120 will get split off in the garage for the 2 outlets.

The 240v wire should be very short as in 15 feet max i would think as the power box is just on the other side of the wall and down underneath. the 120v wire though will be 50 feet away Max for the farthest away of the 2 outlets.

i will get some of those metal gussets for sure!

Thanks
Old 03-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:

For your 220/240V, depending on the Amps of the compressor,

USE the following

12/3 for <20Amps
10/3 for 21Amps - 30Amps

The lenghts you specified will not drop cuurent as they are fairly short.

I ran a 8 AWG to a sub-panel in my garage using about 100' and the inspector said that was fine.
For all my outlets I ran 3 circuits x12/2 w/4 outlets on each.
a 12/3 for my 220V compressor.
and a 10/3 for my 220V welder.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:26 PM
mad cow-it's whats for dinner

I seem to recall you are from Calgary so, go to Home Depot/Rona and pick up a book titled Electrical Code Simplified (Alberta Edition). It's a very good book and will walk you through what you want to do and how to meet the code requirements. If you are the homeowner, you can pull a permit to work on your own home and then have inspections done to ensure you meet code and cover your *** as far as insurance goes. I wired both my basement in Calgary and now my garage in this home (5 oulets on each wall, 12 4' flourescent lights, 20 amp for 110 volt welder, 30 amp rv plug and 240 v plug for future compressor/welder) using this book for a reference and passed all inspections with flying colours. If you are in Calgary, they provide a very informative booklet when you get you permit as well. I would wire the 240 with 8-3 to allow lots of capacity -it's only a few bucks more. You cannot insulate or drywall over any of your wiring until it passes inspection. Even if all you are doing is roughing in, I would recommend reading this book as it is good information. Good Luck
Old 03-18-2006, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

Instead of dry wall have you thought about steel siding like you would use on the outside of a steel building?

My buddy did this to his shop and he loves it! He did all of the walls and ceiling.

Insulate and vapor barrier like you would do with rock.

It is already white or what ever color you choose, looks neat and clean and is washable. The only draw back is when you hang cabinets there needs to be a shim between the back of the cabinet and the siding, to accommodate the ribs in the siding.

My buddy used white for the walls and ceiling and hunter green accent trim pieces for the inside corners then hung a few neon hot rod pics! It looks like a million bucks and was easy to do! The best part was no sanding or painting!
Old 03-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

insulating and drywalling the Garage

67blackhole is right. I used that book 30 years ago when I built and wired my house and garage. It is a great book and I still use it every once in a while like when I ran 220v to my wife's green house and when I have to wire a 3 way switch. By the way when the inspector came he said many of the homeowner wired homes he inspects are wired better than professional electricians as he feels the homeowner is not likely to take short cuts or use inferior materials and cause a safety hazard in their own homes. BEFORE I cause any professional electricians on this board to be upset I am not trying to imply that all or even the majority of electricians out there use short cuts or inferior materials. I am only reporting that the inspector said homeowner wired homes are very safe. I haven't had one problem with my house and garage; but I got all the permits and followed the code and had it inspected. Just like you should do if you decide to do anything yourself after you have researched it thoroughly.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Hey montea, I went the the local Menards store yesterday and picked up a couple of those metal plates just to show you what to look for. They are called "nailplates" and where a grand total of $.14 each. Very cheap insurance indeed. See attached picture....

In a while, Chet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nail plate.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	10942  
Old 03-19-2006, 05:20 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

I will get a bunch of those for sure and Thank you for getting one and taking a picture.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.