insulating and drywalling the Garage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 10:19 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

insulating and drywalling the Garage

im going to start to insulate the Garage, put R12 into the walls and R40 into the celing.

in the winter the celing up in the beams get frosty and then when it warms up it starts to drip down onto my car, is this going to be a problem with the insulation? moldy?

I want to paint the walls a High gloss white to reflect the light to make it brighter, since its out in the Garage what kind of paint is required as it will get grease on it and the tempature change.

In the garage is it worth mudding the walls and sanding? i know this is probaly a personal choice but would you do it?

i plan on putting in 2 extra 120 volt outlets and a 240volt for a air compressor.

Any suggestions for my project?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Do you have enough vents in the roof?

I would go with a high gloss paint also, but I would buy a better quality/brand, chances are good you will be wiping off grease and such from the walls.

I plan on using the T-11 wood siding when I finish my garage, that way I can hang anything anywhere.

If you do use drywall I would say do the finish mudding and sanding, it will look like a finished project that way.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:53 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

There is 1 vent in the roof, half the celing in the garage is already done as the upper part of the house is ontop. so the area that needs to be insulated is only a 12x18 feet area and maybe 4 feet tall Max from the Celing hieght to the underside of the roof. its a pretty small space.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I did a very similar finish to my 24'x24' garage. I have R39 above the sheetrock ceiling ( one layer of R13 in the cord of the trusses then another layer of R26 on top of that). I do not have any issues with moisture in the rafters, I have enough insulation it prevents the heat from getting there. I have a continuous ridge vent with perforated soffits that allow for great ventilation.
I taped and sanded all of the sheetrock on the walls and ceiling, being it is a garage I did not do it to the quality that I would have inside the house.
I painted the walls and ceiling with a semi gloss bright white exterior paint. I used the exterior paint based on the advise of a painter.
For lighting I have 6 twin tube high output flourescents, being able to see is not an issue, until you go outside after dark, it takes a minute for your eyes to adjust.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:58 PM

Remeber to check local codes!!!

The local code says that if any wall that shares a wall with living space(IE your house!!!) must be fire reisisatant. So that means you should use drywall on any wall that connects to the house. In my are there is also the 10' rule. Any wall with in 10 feet of your living structure (for detached garages) must use a fire reisitant material.

My garage is acutally sheet rock celing, and 1/2 ply walls. R40 up top and r13 in the walls. NICE AND TOASTY here in michigan. My only concern is the garage door now.
Also, be sure you run all the power wires before you cover the walls. It sucks to do it later.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Just check my journal to see how I'm doing mine. My garage is a 20' by 22' detached with R11 in the walls (with 2.0 mil clear plastic for a vapor barrier) all covered by 7/16" OSB. Eventually I will have R26 on the ceiling also. The wiring and cash flow seem to be the big hold-ups on this job.

Steve and 1 owner are 100% correct on using a bright white as soon as you can to paint the finished walls. I wish I had done that right away. However, I plan on using track lights on both ends and 21 4 foot flourescent lights on the ceiling to aid in illumination. Please note, I bought 7 lights and then scored 14 more from my dad at the right price (free), so I'll use them all. Most will be on separate switches.

And last but least, SmallBlock_guy nailed it correct with checking building codes out in your area. My local codes include attached garages having taped and mudded drywall on all walls adjacent to the main living structure.

Before I forget, do a search for a thread that I started about drywalling or not before I actually started finishing my garage. Lots of good infor there too.

In a while, Chet.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:24 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

do you guys got any suggestions for the power wires? i know nothing about electrical so i want to just run the wires and mount the metal boxes the plug in's go into and then get a electrician to do the rest.

i dont know though how the heck i get the wires down the the basement from the garage. theres probably no way of you guys telling me without seeing but its a 2 storey house with the garage attached in the front, where ever the garage is met with the house it has been insulated and drywalled when built in 2000 so i cant exactly just fallow the wires from the 2 120volts that are out there.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:43 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

chet i was just reading your thread from awhile ago and i got a better idea about the wiring now.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:

Definetly check the electrical code for your area.

Here in Ontario, Every electrical box on an outside wall has to be enclosed in those plactic air tight boxes and no less than 6mil vapour barrior. I built my garage solely with 2x6's using Roxul R21.5 batt for 2"x6" walls/ceiling. Any adjoining wall will need to be drywalled with 5/8 Fire rated sheetrock.

To get more info on electrical check out The Electrical Safely Authority
Old 03-17-2006, 10:09 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

ok i just got back from the harware store, picked up enough R12 insulation for the walls and the plastic to cover it with. i also bought 75 meters of the normal 120volt wiring and some misc stuff.

i currently have 2 120 volts in the garage at the front and i have had no problem with that except for having to use extension cords often, but i will install 2 more 120 mid way down the side walls. the other thing i want is a 220 volt so i have the option of getting a compressor that is half decent and welder.

i talked to a really helpful guy at the store and since im only wanting that many outlets he said i should run 1 120volt wire and split it in the garage for the 2 outlets and 1 240volt(or in other words, 1 smaller, and 1 larger that will support the amps req) from the basement power box.

im just going to ruff it in and then get a electrian come in to finish it up. soo, the 240 volt is a no brainer, run the wire and keep enough extra for the electrican to work with. but the 120 Volt he told me i have 2 options

#1 running a wire from the basement to the garage to 1 outlet and from there run 1 wire to the other outlet on the other side of the garage

#2 running a wire from the basement to the Garage and put it into a little Box wich i think he said was a junction (he sold me a metal box wich is a box that would be used for a normal celing light) and basicly be a splitter inside i guess and then run 2 lines from there out to each outlet.

but with #2 im not sure if you would run a wire straight through that box and then to the 1 outlet and the second wire for the second outlet is is hooked up like a T or if 3 Wires come into that box and are hooked up more like a Y or a little box that you screw the wires into that would distribute the power? of course a electrican would be doing this but i need to know if i should be have 3 ends go into this little box or 1 end and 1 wire if you know what i mean.

and wich would be a better route to go with #1 or #2.

Thank You!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:19 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

ok i added a picture of the #2 option, i found one in the Garage for the outside lights. i just took the cover off to take a peek. now would i have to install this in the celing or would it be fine to do it on the wall?

Also got a pic of what ive done so far, i just installed a Box 48" from floor and ran a wire across the celing and down in through 2x4 out of the way from anything. not much but a start, Tommarow im thinking of insulating and putting up plastic on the one wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	10846   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict0002.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	10847  
Old 03-17-2006, 12:36 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

i just put some pictures up in my picture Gallery to show what the garage is like that im working on.. so cramped, 2 cars, quad, lots of tools hiding all over... almost got to walk over the car to get into the house
Old 03-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:

Do you know what AMP's the welder/compressor you will be getting in the future will pull?

Most compressors if single stage a 15 or 20 Amp circuit will suffice but a welder can be from 30 to 50 Amps. Ecah of the two would require different gauge wire to be on the safe side. Not to mention different plug sockets.

In your pic abouve you have the plastic box surrounding the box in the ceiling, you should also put one on any box on an exterior wall.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:05 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Chev
Do you know what AMP's the welder/compressor you will be getting in the future will pull?

Most compressors if single stage a 15 or 20 Amp circuit will suffice but a welder can be from 30 to 50 Amps. Ecah of the two would require different gauge wire to be on the safe side. Not to mention different plug sockets.

In your pic abouve you have the plastic box surrounding the box in the ceiling, you should also put one on any box on an exterior wall.
im not sure what kid of air compressor i would go with, i was just looking in a catalouge and i see the ones that catch my eye are 22amp both the single and 2 stage units. as for a welder i wouldnt get anything serious, i just bought a lincoln 120volt mig last year and im sure it will do everything i will need but just incase it would be nice to have the 240 volt ready.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:06 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

Also is it ok to install insulation in the cold weather or should i be waiting till the spring/summer to do it? if theres no prob i will probaly do the 1 wall Tommarow and get it done.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.