Insurance question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Insurance question

I had the pleasure of a dear related accident this last Thursday in the wife's 1995 intrepid. I hit a deer at about 40 bent hood, broke headlight and cracked the plastic fender.

I went to the authorized shop, figured it would be faster. Well dropped off Friday pre noon. They said due to their deal with nationwide they have to use used parts. (I know that is not the case.)

Called to day got estimate, and it had to wait till today for them to find parts at the junk yards. Estimating $2000.

Does anyone know if I can call the insurance company and tell them to give me the 2000 - my 200 deductable and do it myself?

Hell I can get new parts for $500, or reallign fender and bump out hood and buy a replacement headlight unit for $100, and call it good.

Anyone have experience with this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2004, 02:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Kinda. I had a guy smack me good when he wasn't looking in a parking lot. We both got out and looked at my car. He appologized right away because he knew a cop would see him at fault, so we decided to leave the cops and insurance out of it. I got his info and told him to get in the car, we drove to about 3 places getting estimates ranging from $1200 to $1600. I told him I'd be happy to tear up his info if he wrote me a check.

I gave him 2 days to come up with a check or cash. Went over to his apartment and he wrote me a check for $1200 and we had a beer (I just turned 21).

I cashed the check and handed my dad $1000 I owed him for loaning me the money to buy the car in the first place, and took the other $200 and went to the beach for that weekend and partied my pants off because even though cosmetically, the car looked a little crappy, it was MINE!!!!!!!!!

So anyway, no I don't think you can decline repairs once you take it there. Call them.

MoocH
Old 02-17-2004, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

Talk to your agent, you should be able to do that. You will have to drop full coverage and just go with liability. At least in Indiana you can do this. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

I talked with my agent I CAN take the check. I will have reduced coverage until I can show all repairs have been made. They stated that the agent can do that. So I'll be contacting the shop tomorrow and telling them I do not wish to have them do the repairs and to issue a check. All they have done is an estimate and stored the vehicle for 4 days, which was due to them not having an estimate to me. They have ordered parts, which could be sticky.

We did sign that we wanted them to do repairs, but they provided no estimate, until I called them and they do not have the parts in their possession.

Wish me luck
Old 02-18-2004, 02:15 PM

Last photo:

I ran into a similar problem last summer. I was going to fix it myself and the insurance company told me that I either had to have the car repaired at a shop or return the uncashed check. I could have opted to return the paperwork declining repair and would then have reduced coverage.....and get NOTHING for the damage. What a bargain. Needless to say, it got repaired by a shop.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

They are going to send me the check. I talked to everyone including the shop today and they where all cool. Probably because I took it to their Blue Ribbon shop. I can't put the comp or collision back on till I take it to the insurance office and get pictures done showing it is fixed. The estimate listed $750 for used parts, I can actually get new parts for less, $500, and there is less labor and storage time on them. Love insurance companies, trip over a dolar to save a dime.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.