intake? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 01:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

intake?

My carb for some reason cracked and started spewing fuel everywhere. The carb and the intake are the only things i havent replaced on this engine so now that the carb is being replaced, might as well just buy a decent intake. Im really looking for some good suggestions. Right now i have some ancient weiand 7504, its an x design. I may just clean it up and have it powder coated if anyone thinks a new one would be a wast of money

But anyway i have a 383 stroker with this cam and heads:

PBM Aluminum Heads, 220cc runners 2.02 and 1.60 valves 58cc chambers
Comp camshaft 510/520 lift 230/236 Duration 112 LSA

I will most likely put a Holley 750 DP on it. I have a cowl hood on my 87 trans am, so the height does not matter. This is a street car/daily driver and i rarely ever race it. I would like some low end tourqe, but also a good top end. I didnt build the engine, so i dont know alot about the cam and heads, so im not sure where the powerband is in this engine. If anyone knows (maybe tech??) please let me know! Thanks guys!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

If you have an automatic tranny, and rear gears less than 4:56's stay away from the DP. A 670cfm vacuum secondary W/edeldrock performer RPM will keep the bottom end W/good power in the top end. Good street combo with good manners.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
If you have an automatic tranny, and rear gears less than 4:56's stay away from the DP. A 670cfm vacuum secondary W/edeldrock performer RPM will keep the bottom end W/good power in the top end. Good street combo with good manners.
Im still seriously considering a quadrajet also. And i have a t56 manual. thanks for the suggestion!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:58 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker444
My carb for some reason cracked and started spewing fuel everywhere.
How did that happen? What kind of carb?

It's hard to beat a high rise dual plane intake like the RPM. You're engine size and cam specs are right in that intakes wheelhouse, would make good power and have good street manners as well. If you have hood clearance, I'd not think twice.

Guys differ greatly on the "DP for the street" deal. I don't mind them- if tuned correctly they work fine- but know now that it will suck AFA economy goes, compared to a 750 vacuum secondary like the 3310.

Now, there are choices between the 600 and 750- and beyond- for vacuum secondary carbs where, in the past, there really weren't that many choices.

I would suggest you take a look at the 850 Speed Demon. I know, I know. "850! That's WAY too big!!!" Not so, BG uses a decidedly different way of "sizing" some of their carbs, and the "850" designation doesn't tell anywhere near the whole story.

And while I take exception to some of their their "marketing" AFA how flow is rated, etc., the carb should be a good match to your engine.

More HERE.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
How did that happen? What kind of carb?

It's hard to beat a high rise dual plane intake like the RPM. You're engine size and cam specs are right in that intakes wheelhouse, would make good power and have good street manners as well. If you have hood clearance, I'd not think twice.

Guys differ greatly on the "DP for the street" deal. I don't mind them- if tuned correctly they work fine- but know now that it will suck AFA economy goes, compared to a 750 vacuum secondary like the 3310.

Now, there are choices between the 600 and 750- and beyond- for vacuum secondary carbs where, in the past, there really weren't that many choices.

I would suggest you take a look at the 850 Speed Demon. I know, I know. "850! That's WAY too big!!!" Not so, BG uses a decidedly different way of "sizing" some of their carbs, and the "850" designation doesn't tell anywhere near the whole story.

And while I take exception to some of their their "marketing" AFA how flow is rated, etc., the carb should be a good match to your engine.

More HERE.
Thanks for the advice. Are you recommending the performer RPM or the air gap version? Also do you know much about my current intake? I cant find any info about it at all really. Its pretty old and im going to upgrade anyway, but still im curious about how bad the intake is, so maybe with the new intake, the engine will have more power.

Its a weiand 7504. this is the only pic i can find.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/1689295628.html
Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

since you drive it on the street more often then i would lean toward the 750cfm vac sec like cobalt mentioned (3310). you mention that you want more down low torque but the way the motor is set up now, it is set up for high end horsepower, so i would go with a Performer RPM intake (i'm not much for the air-gap, they have their issues and are not worth the extra 50-60 bucks) and if you can fine the money go after a set of 190-200cc intake runner heads. the 220cc runner heads combined with the single plain wieland intake you have on there now are not made to produce down low torque they are made to make all their power up above 3500rpm.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:16 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Are you recommending the performer RPM or the air gap version? Also do you know much about my current intake? I cant find any info about it at all really. Its pretty old and im going to upgrade anyway, but still im curious about how bad the intake is, so maybe with the new intake, the engine will have more power.

Its a weiand 7504. this is the only pic i can find.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/1689295628.html
The 7101 would be my personal choice, the Air Gap does nothing for me. They need extra time to warm up, and in winter weather would be more of a compromise than I would want to put up with, for an extra couple numbers up top.

Your current intake wasn't even good 40 years ago. It is a dinosaur that went extinct because it does NOTHING well.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:21 AM

X2 on the 7101 intake, i think you would also benifit from cutting the top 1/4-1/2" off the top of the plain seperator, and add a 1" spacer in between the intake and the carb. ive seen this done before on a dyno test and it picked up really good results without loosing low end tq
Old 04-18-2010, 11:26 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z
ive seen this done before on a dyno test and it picked up really good results without loosing low end tq
One such test, as well as other results of the RPM compared to the Vic intake, is HERE.

Interesting stuff.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:01 PM

that is exactly the one i was talking about, i wish they would have gone into the problems we have all heard about the air-gap intake though
Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the info guys, i just bought the performer RPM from autozone.. had to pay a little more than summit but i needed it today. Oh well at least im happy and the car will be too.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:05 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
thanks for the info guys, i just bought the performer RPM from autozone.. had to pay a little more than summit but i needed it today. Oh well at least im happy and the car will be too.
Just a quick note on intake gaskets- don't use the hard Fel Pro competition gaskets, the softer composite gaskets will work better. Like the Edelbrock 7201, as an example.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Just a quick note on intake gaskets- don't use the hard Fel Pro competition gaskets, the softer composite gaskets will work better. Like the Edelbrock 7201, as an example.
I bought the mr. gasket intake gaskets. they have the silicone edged ports and relatively the same as the edelbrock gaskets. they seal pretty well and are about 30% cheaper.

I love the way the intake looks, ill keep yall posted on how it runs. Ive decided since im so low on money ill just buy a junkyard quadrajet and rebuild it. I already have the the spreadbore to squarebore adapter. I need something just to make my car drivable. Who knows, i may love it. If not it'll do till i can afford a double pumper.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.