Intake external cooling lines? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Intake external cooling lines?

Two years ago I had a real nice motor built for my circle track car, but our rules have now changed.

One rule change is they have opened up our choice for intake manifold. At the time my engine was built we were restricted to a edelbrock performer, and a 500 2 barrel holley. The motor put up good numbers on the dyno with this set-up. Now we can run pretty much any intake we want, and run a 750 Holley. We now can run a spec Brodix head as well, but thats another thread.

I have had a Brodix intake around from a car I bought and never raced, just parted it out. My question is my intake has some external cooling lines running front to back on both sides of the intake, do they help any? What is there purpose?

I am no engine guy, and I will speak with the guy who built my engine about running this intake. Just wondered if anybody knows about them around here.

bonuts

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 05:36 AM

Last photo:

They don't hurt, there are many camps on this one some say not needed others think absolutly essential I would use them myself if they are there, but have not had any problems plugging them either and letting the stock coolant path work.How much power ya think you will need with the rule changes? what surface dirt or paved? track length ? car weight?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

I was always down a bit on power, but we could make up for it with a good set-up most nights. With the new rules I will be down at least 80hp on the big engine guys. My engines biggest disadvantage is that I run a wet sump, most of the rest run a dry sump set-up. That was another rule that passed through since my engine was put together.

I am hoping to get through at least one more year with this engine, and with a few upgrades while freshening it up I think we should be right with the rest again. Then I will have a real beast built.

The car is a asphalt Super Late, we run primarily on a 1/4 mile, but will also see a 3/8 mile, and a 1/2 miler . I love running on the 1/2 mile, but thats when our lack of power shows up most.

As for our weight rule, I have to run 2950. The spec head Brodix cars get to be 2900. Kinda bogus really, I run a 9:1 bow-tie head engine. Running with 20k+ engines. I think its the guys running a stock casting head that should get the weight break.

bonuts
Old 11-27-2008, 07:16 AM

Last photo:

Your getting reamed in the rules dept. Not only are they giving them a weight break, they are getting to remove a huge chunk of it from the front wich will make an even bigger difference.Sell the bowties, get the spec heads put as much compression as allowed in her.As far as the wet sump it can cost power but with a GOOD pan it is not a real disadvantage.Scrapers and windage trays make all the diff.Run as deep a pan as ground clearance will allow and use the minimum amount of oil you can in the pan safely. I.e just cause it is an 8 qt pan 6 will probably do the trick just fine and will keep the oil level down away from the crank.just sneak up on it carefully so you don't starve the engine.Usinga stock oil pump not high volume, make sure you open up the drain back holes in the rear of the block you can easily get away with just 5 qts in the system which will free up some power.Also try everything you can to lighten the rotating assy, balancer clutch, flywheel etc. This makes a huge difference off the corner and going in.Don't forget lighter is better on wheels, rotors ,axles etc. Just go heavy enought for the parts to survive no more.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:57 AM
uninteresting default message

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: A couple of pics of the car
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

My buddy runs a 383SBC and he swears by them. They are also going on my current 406 build here is a picture of his setup which seems to work real well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiley383.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	34427  
Old 11-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Buick Hybrid Guy.

Last photo:

If the rules allow you this mod on the coolant bypass lines go for it.

They take some of the hot coolant from the rear of the heads and bring it up to the front where it can be pulled into the radiator and cooled.

The coolant flows into the front of the block... around all the cooling jackets... then up the back of the heads... through all the head coolant passages then up to your thermostat.. and back to the radiator.

At the rear of the head is where the hottest coolant ends up being and causes detonation.
Bypassing some of the coolant from the rear of the head up to the T-stat housing keeps the temps throughout the head more even.

That's why that's done.
~Scott
Old 11-28-2008, 03:15 AM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

Thanks guys that what I was wondering, I mean there has to be a point to adding these lines.

Barney as far as lightening rotating assemby, this engine was built by one of the best in the business (Tesar Engineering) all of my engine is the best of the best. But as the rules change, I have to change. I agree the spec head guys are getting an advantage and I don't think they really deserve it. As always, the guy with more money wins out. Also my car was bult by another big name in the racing circle. I have a good car with all the good parts, maybe lacking some of the new wizzy light weight stuff, but as far as the car goes I'm good.

I would like to run the spec head this up coming season, just waiting on a good deal.

bonuts
Old 11-28-2008, 06:37 AM

Last photo:

It is the classic case of the golden rule-"He who has the gold makes the rules".That wt. diff in the front is a real killer,The bowties can make killer power but they can't lose 50 lbs.Good luck,Seems like you already figured out the important part about handling.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonuts

My question is my intake has some external cooling lines running front to back on both sides of the intake, do they help any? What is there purpose?

bonuts
Factory SBC heads by design have 13 places in each head that make steam pockets, that is the design flaws.

SBC racers usually pipe water between the middle cylinders on each bank because the two exhaust valves are adjacent and that portion of the head runs extremely hot and causes steam pockets. Relief return in the middle is the important thing.
If you run the middle and rear manifold outlets, direct return to the front speeds circulation and helps reduce detonation.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

Barney, handling is just about how I want it. But I would sure like to come across a shock guru, who doesn't hold all his numbers secret. Or atleast give you a straight answer!

bonuts
Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

bonuts - For my shock stuff this is who I use:

http://www.speedyshocks.com/

Don't know how shipping would be to send in your stuff to have it dyno'd and rebuilt as he is local to me, but he does good work and I'm very happy with the Bilsteins he setup for my asphalt car last year. I was a shock dummy and he helped me out with kind of a baseline type setup.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

Koolaid, I don't mind sending stuff out. There is nobody where I live that sells any race parts. So everything I buy for my Super Late is shipped to me. I like the idea of a guy who can rebuild, revalve Bilsteins for me. As thats what I currenty run. Obviously I would like a set of Penske's, or Ohlins, but they don't really fit the budget.

Thanks for the tip.

bonuts

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.