intake manifold help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 09:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

intake manifold help

Can someone send me detailed instructions for putting an intake on my chevy 400 small block? Maybe your own opinion on products , torque pattern , how many pounds of torque, what kind of sealant, sealing the bolts etc ? I've never done it before and dont want to scew it up but i want to do it myself. Its the only way to learn. Its an Edelbrock Performer RPM . There was some cat on youtube doing it but he didnt look like he knew what he was doing. Makes two of us. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 02:48 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Email Edelbrock tech. They will send you or email you install instructions.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:41 AM

The Edelbrock instructions are good, but there are a few other suggestions/reminders I have.

1 - Use the recommended Edelbrock gaskets (either their brand or Fel-Pro). The gaskets must be flexible enough to get a good seal, and some performance gaskets will not seal correctly.

2 - Don't use the end rubber pieces (if they are included); use a 1/4" high bead of oil resistant black RTV or equivalent instead. You may also put a very small amount of RTV around the water passage areas where the blue line of sealant is on the gasket.

3 - The inner bolt holes go into the lifter valley, so you need a small amount of sealant on the threads. You can very easily see which bolts when the manifold is off. If you don't seal them they will wick small amounts of oil up onto the manifold.

4 - The gasket set will include blocking plates for the exhaust crossover. The plates insert from each side of the gasket and you bend the small tabs to lock them together. Unless you have a hot air or divorced choke, you can block off the crossover.

6 - On my SBC I have to remove the valve covers to get clearance to replace the manifold.

7 - You may need some pipe-thread plugs for unused fittings in the manifold. The auto parts ones look better, but you can also get them at Lowes or Home Depot.

8 - Edelbrock instructions include the torque sequence. Some of the bolts near the carburetor pad are very hard to get at with a socket. You might have to use a box end wrench and estimate the torque.

9 - Use gask-a-cinch or some other spray on product to stick the gaskets on the heads while you install the manifold. Dry fit the manifold before you put on the RTV, and make sure everything lines up.
Once you set it in place with the bead of RTV, make sure the manifold is even (left to right) and the gasket has not shifted. Then install the bolts finger tight and make sure all the holes are still lined up. Torque in sequence.

Bruce
Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 AM

which sealant do i use for the bolts ? and thanks a lot !
Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 AM

Edelbrock Performer Rpm intake

You can print these instructions from Edelbrock's website: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_.../7000/7104.pdf. You can also use Fel-Pro perm-a-torque gaskets and use the Permatex black RTV sealer on the front and back. Be sure it is oil resistant. There is no need for any spray sealant with these gaskets. Torque the bolts in sequence to 25 lbs.

Last edited by cdminter59; 07-25-2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 07-25-2012, 07:45 PM

You may also put a very small amount of RTV around the water passage areas where the blue line of sealant is on the gasket.The gasket set will include blocking plates for the exhaust crossover. The plates insert from each side of the gasket and you bend the small tabs to lock them together. Unless you have a hot air or divorced choke, you can block off the crossover.

Not sure what you mean here. What is the water passage area ?
I dont have a blue line of sealant on the gasket. The gaskets are made by engine tech / fire seal.
Also , what is the exhaust crossover ? Forgive me for the lack of knowledge but I'm new to this. I've been a paint and body man my whole life. My heads have a square looking hole toward the rear of the engine but the intake does not have holes in this area. Is that what the blocking plates are for ? I only see one blocking plate. Looks like a thin piece of stainless .
Old 07-25-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
The Edelbrock instructions are good, but there are a few other suggestions/reminders I have.

1 - Use the recommended Edelbrock gaskets (either their brand or Fel-Pro). The gaskets must be flexible enough to get a good seal, and some performance gaskets will not seal correctly.

2 - Don't use the end rubber pieces (if they are included); use a 1/4" high bead of oil resistant black RTV or equivalent instead. You may also put a very small amount of RTV around the water passage areas where the blue line of sealant is on the gasket.

3 - The inner bolt holes go into the lifter valley, so you need a small amount of sealant on the threads. You can very easily see which bolts when the manifold is off. If you don't seal them they will wick small amounts of oil up onto the manifold.

4 - The gasket set will include blocking plates for the exhaust crossover. The plates insert from each side of the gasket and you bend the small tabs to lock them together. Unless you have a hot air or divorced choke, you can block off the crossover.

6 - On my SBC I have to remove the valve covers to get clearance to replace the manifold.

7 - You may need some pipe-thread plugs for unused fittings in the manifold. The auto parts ones look better, but you can also get them at Lowes or Home Depot.

8 - Edelbrock instructions include the torque sequence. Some of the bolts near the carburetor pad are very hard to get at with a socket. You might have to use a box end wrench and estimate the torque.

9 - Use gask-a-cinch or some other spray on product to stick the gaskets on the heads while you install the manifold. Dry fit the manifold before you put on the RTV, and make sure everything lines up.
Once you set it in place with the bead of RTV, make sure the manifold is even (left to right) and the gasket has not shifted. Then install the bolts finger tight and make sure all the holes are still lined up. Torque in sequence.

Bruce
I think i got it. I put a little silicone (not much) around the water holes on the gasket , put a little on the inner bolts but not the 4 outside bolts. I used some of the permatex copper spray gasket just to hold them in place and that stuff didnt work worth a d--n. But putting the silicone around the water holes helped. The only problem that I had was the torque wrench would not fit bolts 1-4. The socket hit the intake so I had to guess on those bolts. I set the torque to 25 lbs and got the feel for it and then used and open end wrench and applied what i think was the same pressure. Sure hope it works.

Tags
edelbrock, intake manifold

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.