Intake manifold temperature and gaskets - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 03:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Intake manifold temperature and gaskets

When I received my E/B EPS intake manifold from Northern Auto Parts, not only did I get the intake gaskets that I ordered but also the gaskets that were inside the manifold box (I did'nt know they'd be part of the kit). I used the gaskets I ordered and chose not to use Edelbrock's gaskets. My question is this - the Edelbrock gaskets came with 4 block off plates that have 1 7/16" sized hole in each. What are these plates for? I first thought they'd be exhaust crossover restrictors but if that was the case there'd be only 2, not 4. Why I'm asking is that my intake gets very hot with a surface temperature of 180 degrees. It just seems overly hot for my liking and I'm thinking of reducing it's temperature by blocking off the exhaust crossovers. How is this done and does it make a difference to the temp' reached by the manifold? My Holley 600 will ultimately percolate and flood in the primaries, even with the float level lowered. I never had this prob with the 750. Could the fuel pump pressure be a little too high? It's currently at 45kpa, which from my calculations should be around 7psi. I made a 1/2 inch carb' spacer out of plywood and even this ultimately had no effect. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2005, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

In the sets that I've used, there were 4 plates, one went on one side of the gasket and the other snapped in from the other side. A pair for each gasket.

The inserts with the smaller holes help to reduce the exhaust crossover and help keep the intake temp down. Personally, if you have cold weather at all, I'd use the supplied block off plates and not block them completely. "Some" carb heat is good, especially in the winter.

Being a cabinet maker, I like the idea of the plywood spacer!!! LOL Good job!!

Mark
Old 07-18-2005, 04:44 PM

I doubt that you will get your manifold temperature much below 180 degrees since the engine water circulates through it and plus you will get heat transfer from heads. Whatever temperature your engine runs will probably be close to the same temperature that your manifold will be.

Unless you live in a very cold area I would block off the heat risers totally. The heat riser is only of value when first starting and running the car in cold weather. Once the engine is warmed up, then the heat riser becomes detrimental from a power producing standpoint because you want the intake charge as cool as you can get it. The cooler the incoming air, the denser the charge and the denser the charge, the more power the engine will make. Heating up the incoming air just reduces the power output.

You can block off the heat risers with two pieces of thin steel shim stock cut to cover the hole in the intake manifold gasket. You can probably use material up to .030" thick without a problem. If it is too thin, eventually the exhaust gas might burn a hole in it.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:22 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies fellas. I did'nt know the shim plates clipped together to form one......but now I do! JmDavis, that pretty much sums up what I was thinking in that ultimately the engine heat will transfer to the manifold. I was wondering if anyone has seen lower peak manifold temperatures after blocking off the crossover. I think I'll just have to nut this one out! Maybe I'll fit the centre hung fuel bowls from my 750 onto the 600 and see if it fixes it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.