Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intake Manifold won't fit

34K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  4 Jaw Chuck 
#1 ·
Well I just tried to fit the intake manifold on to my engine tonight and i am having problems with the 4 center bolts on the engine

Just to tell people what i have

I have a goodwrench create engine 350 chev i found in the junk yard (pretty good condition too)
They supposedly have the new heads (87-95 i believe) with the 4 center bolts angled differently then the rest on the intake manifold.
the numbers off of the head are 83417369 or thats as close as i could make out what they say. And remember that these are goodwrenches numbers so they are nothing like what comes out of the factory i think. there are other markings like
gm 12
another number is 92 which means either the year it was made or the octane it must run. (68cc heads)

So i just put the intake (edelbrock #2104) and looks like the 4 center bolts holes are too streight up and down on the manifold, however there is still a different angle on the 4 center bolts so they are not the older style heads but don't match up with the new manifold.
I am really quite baffled on whats happening.

If anyone can tell me what manifold i need or how to correct this problem or can tell me what kind of heads i have i am completely baffled. I was hoping i was going to get the engine running this weekend but this is kind of a set back.

thanks for all of your help

See less See more
#2 ·
Edelbrock lists two different performer manifolds for the 87-95 heads. The Performer (non-EGR) ....#2104 that you say you have and the Performer (EGR) ....#3706 which is what I suspect you need.

I'm not a Chevy guy so thats about all the help I can give.

Centerline

#3 ·
intake

To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 different bolt patterns with the small block 12 bolt intakes.

Are you 100 percent positive the 4 center holes in the head are not the same as the end holes???? What valve cover does the head take center bolt or pirimeter bolts???

If the intake you have now is close, like you can see the tapped holes in the head through the holes in the intake then you can use a round file and slot the holes some to get the bolts in. This is not the perfect way to do it but it does work......

Keith

#7 ·
put bolts in the center holes of the head and others in the end holes, now take a look and see if all are inclined the same or if the centers are pointing more upwards wich will tell you you have the newer heads otherwise you have the old style and should use the older manifold.

Augusto.

#8 ·
intake bolts?

Your Edelbrock 2104 is for 87-95 heads. Mortec.com lists 33417369 as a 90 and up 350 Hecho en Mexico GENERATION 1. I think the Generation 1 is what is messing you up, as Generation1 would be OLD style intake bolt mounting. Usually guys ask how to put an OLDER intake on a NEWER set of heads; you're just the other way, putting NEWER on OLDER. as I see it. Same solution to solve either way; elongate the 4 center holes, the bolt heads won't lie "flat" so make some shims up; I did mine by bending a thick washer and filing a flat spot where it will contact the intake. And a glob of RTV silicon sealer does'nt hurt.

#10 ·
carsavvycook said:
What Information I have found is that those are called Vortec heads, cast iron first used in the 87-91 or 92 Camero's and Corvette small blocks.

heads are not vortec, just had a set come in for valve job, they are thin castings and crack prone mexican junk, the heads that came in are cracked in center cylinders on both heads. sam-missle

#11 ·
sam-missle said:
heads are not vortec, just had a set come in for valve job, they are thin castings and crack prone mexican junk, the heads that came in are cracked in center cylinders on both heads. sam-missle
Correct me if I am wrong: The Vortec heads came out first with the center valve cover bolts only in 87-91/92 Corvettes and Camero's. Then they came out with the GEN1 version of the same design in 1991 on all GM models.

#14 ·
intake?

Sam-Missle, That's what I was saying, the heads are Generation 1, but the block probably is a 1 piece seal. Also, Chevrolet started this confusion about Vortec heads, as they used the "non-Vortec", as we see it, , but it was part of the "marketing" with TRUCKS in calling the engines Vortec. I had a guy give me "Vortecs", but they are 187 swirl-port heads that everyone calls Vortec because of the valve cover center bolt arrangement.

#16 ·
Ronglaze said:
Dude:If your casting # is: 33417369, it's a Gen I Goodwrench Crate Motor "Hecho en Mexico" cast from inferior metal and belongs where you found it... the junk yard. (My personal opinion)
HA HA HA... this guy didn't realize the date it was posted, and he even edited his post, then all of us followed it without even reading well the first post, it's so funny...

not wasted time since you'll learn something new everyday. :thumbup:

Augusto.

#17 · (Edited)
Centerline said:
Guys, Guys...... this thread is almost 4 years old. I think he solved the problem by now.
I found the post from google, I have the exact same issue.
It would be nice if someone finds a solution if they would just update the post with it. Then I wouldn't have to keep bumping 4 year old posts :p

Anyone have a part number for the adapters for the 4 center bolts? I have an intake that I need to fix and don't have time or the money to sell it and buy the correct version.
My 4 center bolts point straight up in this car while they are at an angle on all of my other cars.

Edit = found some
Kind of high for four wedges and bolts

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=WND-90748&autoview=sku

#19 ·
Scotto said:
had to say this,

how many pages do you have to go back to find a 4 year old post, and why would you offer anything to one that old
Came up in a google search, I didnt use the forum search so I didnt have to go back any pages.

Jake Dragon said:
I found the post from google, I have the exact same issue.
I posted a solution I found so others would benefit if they found the thread and would need to bump it up for one.
I guess I could start a new thread but then how many people would instruct me to use the search? And if I did use the search and found this thread it would have been worthless because it turned into people posting opinions instead of just posting a solution and moving on, thats what I'm going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.