Hot Rod Forum banner

intake question

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
I have an sbc 406 with 10.5 compression.holley 750 carb.aluminum ported n polish heads.th350 with 2800 converter. 3.73 rear gear.i have the performer rpm intake now. Looking at the air gap or the victor jr. This is a 71 chevelle with stock non ss hood. Not sure if i have clearance.mostly a street car.what are yalls thoughts or suggestions?

#2 ·
Is your question about clearance or performance? If it's about clearance, determine what your stack will be and transfer that height to the top of the motor, maybe pull a string fender to fender then see how much rise you have in the hood the same way. You could also consider a low rise air cleaner.

#3 ·
Put a glob of modeling clay (between two pieces of plastic wrap) on the air cleaner and slowly close the hood. That will show how much extra room you have. The Victor Jr manifold is a single plane manifold right? I wouldn't run a single plane on the street, you will loose a lot of low end. How do you plan on using the car?

#6 ·
Wanna know a good thing to do if your heart is set on a single plane manifold and it fits under your cars hood..........extend the pairs of runners well into the plenum. Even much more so than this example. Bring them in to almost touch each other. It will bring the stronger low end back to ya somewhat.

Attachments

#8 ·
My thoughts....unless you want the look of the air gap or the Victor ....which is nice, I wouldn't screw around with it. Since it's a streeter you'll most likely never notice the hp gain unless you cruise around town a 6500 rpm. I built a 507" Cadillac and installed a single plane on it....and yes it was the wow factor but it still made gobs of torque at lower rpm.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.