Hot Rod Forum banner

Intake Question For Vortec Swap And Future 383 Build

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
OK. This is the same 78 350 in a 5200# truck with 3.73 gears and 4 speed manual. Because of the tall tires my cruise is 2000-2200 rpm.

My end use will be a daily driver/tow/haul. I am on an extremely tight budget. My end result I think will be when I rebuild the engine and step up to a 383 build.

For now I am going to freshen up a set of used Vortecs and maybe a cam change.

I have been looking and reading about intakes and have a couple of questions. I want to be able to reuse the intake on a 383 but don't want to kill my 350. It looks like I need to stay away from the air gap type manifolds. Would something like the Performer RPM or similar manifold work well or is there a better choice? I didn't know if the runner size would kill my torque. I am not particular on brands. Is there much difference in tq/hp between the different dual plane manifolds? I am also looking at used parts for cost savings.

On a side note, will my Vortec heads be suitable for a 383 build or would I be much better suited with an aftermarket set? If aftermarket would be better, how much better on tq/hp would they be? This might dictate how much time and money I sink into a set of used heads. Thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
My main question, more or less, is if the Performer RPM is a bad choice for a stock 350 with vortec heads at my vehicles weight and cruise rpm and would it lend itself to future upgrades or will a plain jane performer or similar design do just as well for less money. If its a toss up, then fine. Was afraid the extended rpm range might be a little too high but the dyno sheets from Edelbrock don't indicate that quite so much. Nothing wrong with looking for real world experience. I'm doing the vortec upgrade and need an intake. Things may change before I go bigger.

#5 ·
rpm requirements are more air at higher RPMs, a bigger engine needs more air and even more air at high RPMs? how much power do you need,from what size engine?Its just math,,,, bigger engine can supply the greater power,,,sooner

what do you need?what are you hauling,,,,?maybe you need a turbo diesel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.