Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Intake swap: dual plane airgap to single plane ?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k600f4
Having a potential issue with my professional products crosswind (clone of edelbrock airgap); it is a a dual plane air gap design. Going to swap it out for a used Weiand which I was told has an open plenum with divider plate...I believe this is a single plane. Looking up the Weiand intakes I beleive it is the X-celerator (also told it has the accesory holes for the A/C bracket); this is the only intake I can find that matches thes specs...also this intake is "free".

Question is I rather not keep swapping intakes and if this solves the problem, than great !! However I am concerned that I will sacrifice some low end performance. My current setup is 383 stroker, Holley 750cfm, Comp Cams XE262H, 4 spd with 3.08 posi. What sort of performance decrease can I expect changing from a dual plane air gap to a single plane ? Thanks.
In my experience, you can expect the motor to be soggier from idle to 3500/4000. With that short cam and tall gear, I would use a RPM or Stealth. The cam is gonna sign off at somewhere around 5500/5600 anyway, so giving up area under curve from idle to 3500/4000 doesn't seem to me to be the smart way to go. Now, if you had more gear and more cam, then a single plane might make sense, allowing more area under curve from 3500/4000 to redline. Just my opinion.