Intake through cutout area in radiator - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM
something droll and pithy

Wiki Edits: 0

Intake through cutout area in radiator

Never seen it done, but I'm curious. I'm thinking of asking a radiator mfg. to create a radiator for me with a big cut out section, probably near the top of the fins.

My idea is to create an intake plenum that goes straight through the radiator, and put a flat-style filter and filter box in front of the radiator.

Vehicle = 1932 Ford fiberglass coupe
Engine = '97 LT1 350

The intake of the LT1 is at the front of the block, not the top of the engine. So why can't I do a "forced air" style intake in front of the radiator?

If I leave enough room for an electric fan, the radiators that fit behind the grill shell seem plenty large enough.

Is there an inherent problem I'm missing? Would it be prohibitively expensive? Why haven't I seen this done? Having the intake in front of the radiator keeps the air cooler going into the manifold, having a straight shot into the TB seems like I would get a ram-air effect.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Probably a lot more trouble and expense than it would be worth.........The coolant runners and fins would have to be custom made......And you would lose cooling in that part of the rad.

Budget RVs
Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Major loss of cooling, huge cost, and only a tiny increase in performance. Cold air can be worth a few ponies, but there is no such thing as "ram air" or forced air until you hit about 200 mph.

If you want to do it as a neat, eye-candy, custom piece, go for it, but from a streetability or performance upgrade it will only serve to empty your wallet and cause cooling headaches.

With all that room under the hood there are about 30 other places you can get cool air, but its not all its cracked up to be. Expect about 1 hp per 30 degrees of temperature. Unless you have a completely maxed-out combination and you're looking for the last 10 hp, don't worry about it. Its all a trade-off. Hot air will drop a couple ponies, but save a little fuel as well.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:54 PM
something droll and pithy

Wiki Edits: 0

Much appreciated Curtis

Thanks for the info Curtis. I wasn't aware just how big or little my gains would be.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.