Intakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2001, 03:21 PM
At a loss for words

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Intakes

Has anyone used the Edelbrock Performer intake manifold? Someone once told me not to even consider putting it on my Mopar and that I should go with the Performer RPM because it was designed from the ground up for Mopar. The thing is, the regular Performer is listed as power from idle to something like 5,000 RPM's where the Performer RPM is listed starting at 1,500 RPM's. On a street engine, wouldn't the Performer be a better choice?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2001, 06:40 PM

440s are a torque monster,I don't think you would be hurt running the rpm on the street even with a stiff cam. That is still a tame intake compared to some others out there.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:23 PM

Always make sure you don't put the cart before the horse. The Intake should not be picked out before you figure out what cam and compression you are going to use.A really good running engine is one that every thing works good together. And not a engine that every thing was just guessed at. One of the biggest mistakes is the wrong cam and to big of a carb. ROY
Old 12-18-2001, 05:39 AM
At a loss for words

Depending on if the carb, cam, and intake are all still usable, I was thinking about getting one of the kits from Edelbrock where they match the cam, carb, and intake. I'm thinking I might just get rid of the cam anyway because the engine is a '78 and the cam is going to be pretty mild due to all the smog stuff.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:09 PM

If you have not built a lot of engines in your life the kit is a good way to go. The kits will work good for you and save you from making a mistake that could cost you a lot of money. You are right about the camshaft it is a little smoggy and would be good to hold papers down so they don't blow away. ROY
Old 12-19-2001, 01:41 PM
At a loss for words

I'm thinking that the carb is going to be right up there with the cam as smoggy and good for a paper weight. I think that getting the kit from Edelbrock will be cheaper than buying parts seperately, so I'm going to look into that. The carb is a Carter, however, I think it's probably a 625 CFM carb.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:36 PM

I agree with Roy that kits are probably the best way to go,whether you are experienced bulding engines or not,you will normaly save money and get better quality parts in a package deal. I would also look into mo-par to see what they have to compare, parts and prices.Before you do anything you need to decide just what you want from your engine,now and in the future. Do you want a slightly warmed over 440 if thats the case the you can save some money and go with cast pistons,if in time you want to get more radical with your engine I would spend the money now for a set of forged pistons so that you can build more power later and not have to upgrade your shortblock. You also need to realize the more hp you build into it the softer it gets at lower rpms. 450 hp is not to much to expect and still drive reasonable on the street.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:05 AM

Talking

I went with the Edlebrock Performer kit/package (cam, intake, carb) on my 69 Impala, 454. I am very pleased with the performance of the engine with this package. Besides lots of HP, the 454 achieved 17mpg on a 2000 mile round trip to the Black Hills in South Dakota (cruise mode). This thing will go down the highway at 70 mph with hardly any throttle. 2.56 gears help. The only problem I'm having with the motor is that it seems to have too much ignition advance (pinging problem), and Roy has been helping with this (may be one of the reasons I got 17 mpg).

This is my second Edlebrock Performer kit/package that I've used. This first was on my 72 Rally Nova, 383. Had good experience there too, with one exception. The performer intake had a flaw in the casting where the coolant temp gage sender is screwed in (a crack). I managed to file out the crack and still have enough remaining threads for the temp sender. Good luck with your project
Scott

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.