Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Intank or Inline FP?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Intank or Inline FP?

Well I got a parts car last weekend for my 1986 Olds Cutlass. It was a completely rotted out 87 monte carlo which happened to have a brand new gas tank .
I have been wanting to ditch the mechanical fuel pump in my cutlass for awhile and figure this is a good time to have this take ready and just be able to do the old switcharoo and run a 12v connection to it. What are the pros and cons of both the inline and intank. I planned on pulling the old line out (its 5/16" i believe?) and replacing it with a 3/8" feed and 5/16" return. Return line is leaking currently so im actually using the tank vent line that used to go to the charcoal canister for my return off of the mechanical pump. I will obviously be running a return style fuel system with a good regulator up front. I just want a nudge in the right direction. I bought a book from fivesecondsflat.com that had a section on fuel system design which I will read through before I make any purchases or decision. So what do you guys like. What have you had good luck with. Engine should be making about 400hp on a good day but I will have it ran on the dyno in a month or so when its back from the machine shop.

Thanks!
Shane