Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Intank or Inline FP?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 02:18 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

While there are in-line pumps that met the pressure requirements,many fail in volume. The last in-tank pump I installed was for a EFI/CPI Delco in-tank.We had for yrs suggested Delco as a OEM replacement pump.After getting all back together I found the specs for the Delco had changed in that it didn't have the OEM pressure specs.One of the main reasons for swapping out the pump is it had one of those cheap Airtex pumps in it that are junk.Kind of ticked off I got ahold of Delco's tech dept.They told me the pressure isn't as important as the volume.Truth is it sounded like Delco found a crossover pump and swapped it in the part number I wanted to save money.Yet you still spend the money for the Delco brand name.On the other hand Delphi still sells the OEM pressure and volume.So apart of this post is about brand names and really looking at the current specs.But stay miles away from off brands because they never last long.The aftermarket hot rod in-line pumps that have both the volume and the pressure are expensive.

The other thing is while using a in-line pump you should not be trying to do so by leaving a dead in-tank pump pulling the fuel through it.FP's like to push fuel better than to draw fuel to it.But I am going to contradict that last sentence.We found one pick-up that is a OEM mechanical pumped return line style in a 1985 Astro which is nice because it has all the lines and a sock filter on it.

I am sure there are more OEM's like it,but again the point is not to go in-line pulling fuel through a in-tank pump that isn't being used.