Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Intank or Inline FP?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
Most high pressure fuel regulators do not work well with low pressures, they can be inconsistent. And If everything is cleaned, assembled, and sealed you can run that high of fuel pressure on the injectors and that was assuming 454 TBI injectors.

Depending on the carb you're running you may not see much power gain at peak- if any at all- compared to a TBI unit. The real advantage comes in at part throttle in terms of mileage, super smooth acceleration with no bogging, and greatly increased durability of your engine.

You may want to run MS2, but I can't really find any reason for myself to switch from MS1 to MS2. It has a hair more refinement but the difference is so small you'd likely never notice it. With MSnS on a MS1 system and switching fuel tables you essentially have 2 12X12 fuel tables that work in conjunction. MS2 has an even bigger table (God only knows why you'd need it, maybe for an engine that sees 10,000rpm, 35psi, and is street driven), slightly better acceleration enrichment (again not enough to ever notice IMO) and faster response with a wideband oxygen sensor (again nothing that I could ever see needing if you have your system tuned properly).

I got my MS1 used for $100 shipped and bought all the sensors but the oxygen sensor from a junkyard (with pigtail connectors) for $5. I bought a new oxygen sensor for $7. The harness can be bought for like $75 or made with parts for about $20- my first harness was included with my first MS system, I'm making the harness for the second installation.
That regulator comes with two springs. One is setup for 3-20 and the other 20-65. Would this fix the issue you speak of regarding inconsistency. Yeah I was looking at their comparison between the MS1 and MS2 and I may just get an MS1. Not sure yet. Gonna wait until I get the engine back and ready and all the other little stuff done to the car I want then see if I have the time and money to do everything else. Right now Im running an Edelbrock thunder series 650cfm. I would go to the tbi more for economy and part throttle driving than I would for top end power. Who knows I may even pick up a couple hp along the way.