Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Intank or Inline FP?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 02:55 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
ok .. a tbi will get you nice cold start emmissions and NOTHING MORE...
fuel milage will be no better than a q-jet.. and the bbc tbi (iirc) is a 550-600 cfm unit... that will not bolt to a q jet intake..
if like you said in the thread about carb a 350 NEEDING a 750 carb.. then a 550 cfm tbi is a bottle neck .. RIGHT..
if and when I change to efi on my monty SS (same car as his, both g body's)
I'd go with a g/n tank set up as the set up from that v6 monty will not work with any multiport efi.. and other than cold start emissions, he gains zero.. other than a lighter wallet
If , I was him. I'd search to see if all the g body tanks accept the g/n sender/pump set up.. if I had the link from the turbo buick board I'l post it here.. lost that when computer died.. but I think the g/n t-type tank is a different animal and it and sender have it's own part #..
he can spend the money ONCE.. or spend it TWICE... his choice.. but ..
carry on..
A smoothed out BBC TBI unit is right under 650cfm- significantly more than the 650 edelbrock carb he's currently using. And he gains NOT ONLY better cold start up and driving but also much more controlled fuel metering- not as good as multiport mind you, but better than his carb. Oh, and the cost for said TBI unit- $15 from your friendly salvage yard. So while it is a bit undersized for its application at $15 I'd use it if it were mine.

To be honest I don't even know why I bother, obviously zildjian understands the clear advantages and after seeing all your other posts I'm not too sure you can tell your *** from a hole in the ground.