Interchangable Brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Interchangable Brakes

on a 63 C10.. without having to change axles or anything. what disc brakes would fit?so i wouldnt have to go WAY expensive and buy a new conversion kit all i had to do was transfer and hook up the lines.. at the least.. i'm expecting some work.. but with less then buyin a 300 dollar 2 wheel brake conversion kit

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The thing to remember here is that you will need to have something to mount the calipers to. As soon as you change the spindle knuckles, you have to also change the tie-rod ends and ball joints.

If I recall correctly, the 63 may have had torsion-bar front suspension instead of coil springs like my '66.

Have a look at my journal and see if your front cross-member bolts in the same way as mine. My frame also "kicks up" under the front suspension ... so be aware of that as well.

If everything appears the same as mine, then a trip to the wrecking yard for a front suspension clip for a 73-79/80 C10 would be in order. (80/81 to 87 will also fit, but they use a Metric power steering box.)

My thought was that if I change the whole suspension clip, then I don't have to try to remember what year each component fits ... all my steering and brake components are all "1976" (except for the 6-bolt rotors ... which are "special".)

Be sure to grab the idler arm as well, as they are different than yours, too. Mounting it is also very easy ... 2 holes to drill in frame.

Edit:
Oh Yeah ... get the front sway bar and mounting brackets while you're at it. They are riveted to the frame, so take a smoke wrench or grinder with you. You'll also want a BFH and a good punch to knock them out as well.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
The thing to remember here is that you will need to have something to mount the calipers to. As soon as you change the spindle knuckles, you have to also change the tie-rod ends and ball joints.

If I recall correctly, the 63 may have had torsion-bar front suspension instead of coil springs like my '66.

Have a look at my journal and see if your front cross-member bolts in the same way as mine. My frame also "kicks up" under the front suspension ... so be aware of that as well.

If everything appears the same as mine, then a trip to the wrecking yard for a front suspension clip for a 73-79/80 C10 would be in order. (80/81 to 87 will also fit, but they use a Metric power steering box.)

My thought was that if I change the whole suspension clip, then I don't have to try to remember what year each component fits ... all my steering and brake components are all "1976" (except for the 6-bolt rotors ... which are "special".)

Be sure to grab the idler arm as well, as they are different than yours, too. Mounting it is also very easy ... 2 holes to drill in frame.

Edit:
Oh Yeah ... get the front sway bar and mounting brackets while you're at it. They are riveted to the frame, so take a smoke wrench or grinder with you. You'll also want a BFH and a good punch to knock them out as well.
On a 63 2wd they use the same suspension through 66, coil springs.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06
on a 63 C10.. without having to change axles or anything. what disc brakes would fit?so i wouldnt have to go WAY expensive and buy a new conversion kit all i had to do was transfer and hook up the lines.. at the least.. i'm expecting some work.. but with less then buyin a 300 dollar 2 wheel brake conversion kit
If going to front disk, you will need to change the master cylinder. Depending on what comes with the $300 kit, it may be well spent money.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:54 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've read some of your threads. I see you are 14. You have jumped from bugs to mustangs, and now an old 63 pickup.

I just don't know why you would even think about buying a disc kit for a truck that you haven't even checked to see if it's all rotted underneath.

14 years old?, been there done that.

Pick a good SOLID builder & stick with the basics.....get it to run good and then go from there. Plus pick something you can afford to drive on teenager "part time job pay". I've got a couple of those trucks all done up with V8s,auto, ps, pb,etc, and it costs me 10 bucks in gas just to go visit a friend on the other side of town

That 63 does not need discs. If you run it with manual steering and non-power disc brakes and an old column mounted 3-speed, & 230 six, it will "feel" just like what it is supposed to....an old worn out farm truck....not a rod.

You need to stare at those 63 pics real good and start a price list of ALL the parts just to make it fit for the road. All new brake parts incl hoses, cylinders, lines. Exhaust, waterpump, hoses, belts,engine gaskets-seals, carb kit, air filter,gas filter, windshield & mounting seal, door seals, door window run channels & felts to make the windows work, door latches at $99 each! (they are always shot on 60-63s), steering & front end parts, shocks,better seat, sandpaper, grinding discs & flat black cheapy paint......etc, etc, etc......at least $1500-$2000 and then you still have a farm truck, not a rod. And then if you hate it, be prepared that if you try to sell it, it may bring only $500 because it's still got a worn out six & 3 speed, and rusted out underneath.

I hate to pick on you but I saw you get excited about the bug and after powerwashing it and pulling the body, you QUIT! That truck will end up the same way because you are not yet up to the task of restoring things. Old rusty cars & trucks are a money pit and a job that requires tons of equipment & experience. Save your $ and find something solid and one that has had a lot of money invested but not quite finished.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

the brakes ..was just an idea

this truck runs.. it ran 2 years ago and we drove it around the yard.. it just needs a refreshing..

the bug.. needed a new everything..

rebuilt tranny ( that i dont even know works) engine (now has starter problems) and then about 3000 dollars worth of parts

the truck.... needs probally brake shoes and wouldnt hurt to go through the tranny

i dunno..

i like the truck more than the VW.. i'll just finish it when i get more experience

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.