intercoat clear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 08:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

intercoat clear

what is the purpose of this and whats it do? I was at my paint supply house picking out the color for my truck, and i wanted to add just a touch of purple pearl, and the guy behind the counter said I would need intercoat clear, I dint want to ask him what the heck he was talking about, since there was a long line there, I also looked it up and only found house of kolor that makes it, does any one else make it? but if anyone could shed some light on this for me

chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Intercoat clear is sometimes called binder clear or mixing clear..it is used with candies and pearls as a carrier for those componets of a paint job..Sometimes base colors are mixed in an intercoat clear as well..

The basic overview is that first one primes and seals the car..then a solid base coat is shot..then we follow with the intercoat clear with the candy or pearl in it..then we clear coat the entire thing..

As far as specific requirements one needs to conatact his jobber or Paint rep for specifics related to the specific line of paint one is using..

Sam
Old 04-21-2006, 04:47 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Intercoat is suppose to give less film build and allow you to
protect your graphics so you can go on to the next color.
It's also suppose to dry quicker so you can retape faster.
I personnaly don't like it and just use a thinned clear instead.
I do have to wait longer between tape ups for graphics.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:51 AM

Last photo:

It is supposed to spray easily like a basecoat, but it doesn't have any iso's or hardener...
Old 04-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

It is all of above but more simply a "colorless basecoat". Most color formulas that match original pearls for instance, are simply this "colorless basecoat" with some pearl added to it. It is applied over a "colored basecoat" and then the whole shooting match is cleared with a urethane, hardened, clear.

I first saw it back a number of years ago (before there were many pearl colors on new cars) in the DuPont tech book as a remidy for protecting a blend. You took this "binder clear" off the mixing bank that is used in formulas to create the millions of colors we have, reduced it 1:1 with the basecoat reducer (DuPont calls it "Basemaker") just as you would any other basecoat and spray it over the blend area. You then cleared the whole panel with your urethane topcoat clear.

A short while later many other companies came out with a whole seperate product (though basically the same) in a can called "Innercoat clear".

Brian
Old 04-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Each brand name has a different approach/product for this application so it's best to ask specifically depending on product.
Intercoat is basically a clear "transport liquid" for custom work or a color reducer for blending.

HOK has a specific product called SG-100 that is used for many different purposes in their line. Mixing kandy KK Koncentrait for small kandy jobs,thinning of any of there product line for various reasons,Pearl coats,Flake coats,etc.
Dupont has their binder,155, which is a colorless base paint in the Nason line.
I use this for doing kandy on small projects or as a color reducer for making weak,transparent colors for air brush work,Pearl coats,etc.
Dupont also has a blending clear,175, which is NOT made for this application. It's used for blending into repairs of existing paint and stays "wet" longer to melt into the existing job.Not that you can't apply color to it but it's not very user friendly for a stand alone coat.

Intercoat should be thought of as another base coat for whatever the reason.
Effect,color,protection,build.

If your supplier carries HOK products, Pick up one of their Tech Manuals. It will explain most ANY paint product in detail and is a handy reference book.Sure there are differences between them and the other lines,but the principals are the same.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

HOK intercoat clear has no UV protector in it so it must top coated. I use it to mix my dry pearls and to do tape outs .. Its nice because I like to get away from Iso's as much as possible .. just a 1:1 with reducer. The intercoat is much thinner than a 2k dries faster And must be used if u r using Marbilizer from HOK and topcoating wuth a Uro clear or the clear will delaminate..
Old 04-21-2006, 02:14 PM

well couldnt I just put the pearl into the first couple coats of clear, then clear over that, and skip the intercoat?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark
Intercoat is suppose to give less film build and allow you to
protect your graphics so you can go on to the next color.
It's also suppose to dry quicker so you can retape faster.
I personnaly don't like it and .just use a thinned clear instead
I do have to wait longer between tape ups for graphics.
jcclark, when you say (this just use a thinned clear instead), what do you mean by that?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5dogsisenuff
well couldnt I just put the pearl into the first couple coats of clear, then clear over that, and skip the intercoat?
You can certainly do that. Or (in my opinion) better yet, shoot on a coat of your catylized clear to protect your base coat and then do your pearl/clear mix. That way you have the option of removing your pearl coat if say your decide you used too much pearl and not mess up your base coat. I use inner coat clear all the time I have used the HOK, X-otic and Matrix brands and they are all the same near as I can tell. I mainly use it when Im doing airbrush work, overlapping ghost flames etc; That way I can lock down my artwork, graphics etc come back later and scuff and do the next layer. All I use it for is a protective barrier so I can scuff it without damaging my graphics and then shoot my final catylized clear coats. You can also (as previously mentioned) use inner coat clear as a carier for candy concentrates or pearl. I wouldn't reccommend using it as a carrier for flake. AL
Old 04-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

I must say, excellent info!

THANKS!

Russ

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.