interesting experience in court today - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2004, 12:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

interesting experience in court today

i had to go to court today for the last time.
i ended up with a misdemeanor assault charge, 12 months deferred adjudication (after 12 months its off my record), 80 hours community service, have to take an anger management class and a $100 fine.
but that was not the interesting part.........

so i walk in sit down and my lawyer starts flirting with me, lol; complementing just about everything about me, lol. i'd never touch it, but being a good sport, i started doing the same. {weird}

i'm sitting there watching all of these black guys go up there and the judge is being real hard on them, talking real blunt and even gave out an 8 year prison sentence to one of them.
so i'm getting a little nervous thinking that my plea may not go through, when they call my name.
i walk up there, and i swear, the mood went from SERIOUS, to not serious at all, real quick.
everyone was joking with me and with each other, the judge and prosecutor where extremely nice to me and the mood was just strange.
after all of the sentencing, the judge said "Aaron, how old are you?", i said 23. he said "so do you have an anger problem?" i said no, i just got a little angry at my brother was all. he said "are yall getting along now?" i said yes. he said "have you learned your lesson" i said yes. then he said " well don't do it again", then smiled.

i started thinking to myself "what in the world just happened?"
i thought about it on the drive home and you know what? i think that it was because i'm a clean cut white guy, lol.
i mean i had one of the more serious charges (except for the first guy) and got better treatment.
now don't get me wrong here, i am NOT complaining what so ever, but i thought that it was kind of interesting to actually witness something like that.
maybe some of the things that the black folks complain about really happens. i know that i never believed it until today.

just thought i'd share

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Farfegnugen

Last journal entry: logo fun!
Last photo:

Wow, that's just crazy! But I will say this.... I have had my days in court, and I make sure when I go that I am clean-cut and dressed appropriately, and believe it or not that crap goes a long way! First impressions are a lot more influential than many would think especially in the court room. The last time I was in court I think I was the only guy that wore a collared shirt and tie, I was also the only person that I saw get their case dismissed!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:59 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Aaron,

Things like :
Respect for the court (Not wearing sweats and unshaven)
Politeness
No record/rap sheet
First offense

They go along way. Your record is part of the docket. You got a slap, because that was all that was deserved. (Although Jon may think different !! ) Perhaps those other guys had a rap sheet a mile long? Never know.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

Could also be that the scrap you had was with your brother? As apposed to some dude in a bar, neighbor, etc.

Every time i have had to go to court, White shirt & tie, NEVER smile (but dont look like a hard *** either) and "Yes, your honor" "No, your honor".

Been working for me so far.....

C
Old 10-01-2004, 01:42 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

evidently, no one involved in your litigation hangs out at Hotrodders.....

I told you yessir and nosir would go a long way.

You should of stood up and demanded some prison time.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

What are you saying?

Are you saying if you were black things would not have gone your way or what?

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 10-01-2004, 07:22 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Do not underestimate the importance of your appearance and demeanor in the court. Most judges consider it a personal insult and show of no respect for the court when people come into court dressed inappropriatly. I have seen judges actually send people home and tell them to come back at a later date. They tell them to make sure that they take the charges more seriously when they come back. One court here actually requires that your shirt tail be tucked in your pants to be able to enter, even if you are not a defendant.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Aaron, I'll bet your assumptions are correct.

Racism is a real thing. It would not be pleasant to be a black man in a white man's world.

Just remember your experience, and draw on it when someone tries to blast someone just because of their color, etc.

I don't know the details of this situation, but I can probably ascertain that your gut feelings about "justice" are correct.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

I've seen things similar to that take place. Skin color wasn't the deciding factor though, it was money. Wealthy people with influential families tend to get slapped on the wrist repeatedly or never even get touched. In most cases it doesn't really matter what you are anymore, it's how much you can pay.

Larry
Old 10-01-2004, 07:45 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by NAIRB
Aaron, I'll bet your assumptions are correct.

Racism is a real thing. It would not be pleasant to be a black man in a white man's world.

Just remember your experience, and draw on it when someone tries to blast someone just because of their color, etc.

I don't know the details of this situation, but I can probably ascertain that your gut feelings about "justice" are correct.
Be careful how fast you throw out the word racist, he said one of those guys got sentenced to 8 years in prison, perhaps it was the severity of their crime that brought out the mean side of the judge, not their color.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I think he saw a young, worried kid with no previous rap sheet and said: take your butt home and shape it up.

K
Old 10-01-2004, 07:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by coldknock
I've seen things similar to that take place. Skin color wasn't the deciding factor though, it was money. Wealthy people with influential families tend to get slapped on the wrist repeatedly or never even get touched. In most cases it doesn't really matter what you are anymore, it's how much you can pay.

Larry

Ain't that the truth!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by adtkart
Do not underestimate the importance of your appearance and demeanor in the court. Most judges consider it a personal insult and show of no respect for the court when people come into court dressed inappropriatly. I have seen judges actually send people home and tell them to come back at a later date. They tell them to make sure that they take the charges more seriously when they come back. One court here actually requires that your shirt tail be tucked in your pants to be able to enter, even if you are not a defendant.
i was dressed much nicer than the rest, but it was nothing more than a collared shirt tucked into a pair of jeans with tennis shoes.

i guess that yall would've had to of been there to fully understand what happened. i can not really explain it without emotion.

but maybe it was the fact that i had never been arrested before, and i'm sure he could tell that i was quite nervous walking up there.
maybe he was just trying to help me relax... who knows, but i did say yes sir/no sir just as i do with any cop.

the main thing that struck me as odd was when he said "don't do it again". he was cleary joking and then smiled right after it, lol.

so maybe i'm wrong about the whole thing, but it did seem like that was the case........i don't know..... just wanted to hear some different opinions on the subject.

thanks Aaron
Old 10-01-2004, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

tell us more about the lawyer! lol

Nos
Old 10-02-2004, 12:30 AM
il enforcer

My uncle is a Judge and some of the things he has told us...

1ST of all after dealing with many types of people they have a good idea who is a real criminal and who just hit a rough spot.

Maybe the guys before you had been in his courtroom on many other occasions? I guarantee you if you make 6 or 7 trips to his court you will not get off so easy.

Good luck and behave.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.