Interesting heater problem with my Rambler, any ideas? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Any chance the fan blades were reinstalled/reassembled backwards?
When you don't stop there is constant air flow through the radiator, when you stop (if the fan is backwards) it wouldn't be pulling cooler air through the rad.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brian where do the heater hoses connect to the engine? Which hose has the heater valve and where does it connect to the engine? I'm wondering if there is a problem with the heater hose routing and valve location and its causing cavitation in the water pump.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,074 Times in 958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
Any chance the fan blades were reinstalled/reassembled backwards?
When you don't stop there is constant air flow through the radiator, when you stop (if the fan is backwards) it wouldn't be pulling cooler air through the rad.

Nope, it's right, I double checked it.

Brian
Old 03-01-2012, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy
Brian where do the heater hoses connect to the engine? Which hose has the heater valve and where does it connect to the engine? I'm wondering if there is a problem with the heater hose routing and valve location and its causing cavitation in the water pump.
It's hooked up exactly as it was at the factory. But Maybe? I don't know. I do know that today it heated up without the vent open, so I know it's just the heater. It will heat up, turn the heater off and it will start to drop back to normal almost immediately. No kidding, turn the heater off, rev the motor a little to get air moving thru the rad and the gauge will come right down.

Brian
Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

i still have those mower blades available for testing
Old 03-02-2012, 04:24 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Stick a mechanical temp gauge in it and see if it does the same thing. You might check the flow in the radiator to make sure the impeller in the water pump isn't slipping.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:27 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I think you just don't have enough fan on the radiator. I had one of those years ago
(L-head in a 61 American, almsot the same car under the hood) and it would heat up in traffic also. A shroud on the little fan or a bigger fan might fix you up. I think the heater is just coincidental to the problem. You might try one of those Flex-A-Lite plastic fans -- if you can get one small enough in diameter.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Yeah Frank, we know how important a shroud is and it would probably do wonders. But honestly it never does it without the heater control valve open.

Brian
Old 03-07-2012, 03:58 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Try opening the heater valve only 1/4 of the way and see how it runs. The heater supply comes off the water pump. My only guess is that too much water is getting diverted to the heater when the valve is all th way open and the heater doesn't do as good a job of cooling the engine as the radiator does. I've never heard of that problem, but could be a fault in the remanufactured water pump or just someting that goes on with that model and no one has really noticed. I mean the heater would only be used when it's cold out and the colder weather would keep the engine from over heating. Another thought -- where is the temp sending unit? I forget! You might want to try using a temp gun or sending unit in another location. Could just be water flow around the temp sending unit causing it to read hotter, which would indicate a hot spot, but not necessarily the entire engine running much hotter.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I know on my '65 the control valve was stuck open, but even on the hottest day, it would run up to the 1st 'tick' on the temp gauge and that was it. Still blew HOT air. just had to leave the ducts closed to keep the heat out on hot days
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
Try opening the heater valve only 1/4 of the way and see how it runs. The heater supply comes off the water pump. My only guess is that too much water is getting diverted to the heater when the valve is all th way open and the heater doesn't do as good a job of cooling the engine as the radiator does. I've never heard of that problem, but could be a fault in the remanufactured water pump or just someting that goes on with that model and no one has really noticed. I mean the heater would only be used when it's cold out and the colder weather would keep the engine from over heating. Another thought -- where is the temp sending unit? I forget! You might want to try using a temp gun or sending unit in another location. Could just be water flow around the temp sending unit causing it to read hotter, which would indicate a hot spot, but not necessarily the entire engine running much hotter.

I never thought of leaving it only partially open, there's a thought. I have noticed that I can open it, get the hot water into the core then close it and leave the fan on and the air is hot for a long time.

Brian
Old 05-22-2012, 05:30 PM

Did you ever find the problem with the Rambler?

Later, Frank
Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

Never did, other than simply it overheats if the heater is on and the car isn't moving. I am looking into installing a real fan and a shroud. But honestly, never could figure out anything wrong. I drive it every single day and if I am stopped in traffic I can't leave the heater on. I will open the heater control valve for a while filling it with hot coolant, then close it and let the fan run. It works just fine for me so I don't worry about it. But every once in a while I will forget and look down to see a pegged gauge!

Brian
Old 05-22-2012, 07:17 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
i still have those mower blades available for testing
still have them
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

No thanks, that's what I have remember! The bummer is the fan is about a half inch at tops from the core. Then it hangs over the bottom and misses most of the core on the sides. It is a horribly inefficient set up. The water pump has a long shaft that stuffs it against the rad. So there is no room for much of anything else but a flex fan, a 14" flex fan. If it was a little bit aways from the core a nice shroud would work great as it could get the air coming thru the whole core. But this way I am going to have to have a shroud that is only about a half inch away. I still think it will be better than nothing but that is another project that I really don't feel like doing.

For the time being, I will just drive it every day because it "works".

Brian

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.