Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   General Rodding Tech (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/general-rodding-tech/)
-   -   Interesting heater problem with my Rambler, any ideas? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interesting-heater-problem-my-rambler-any-ideas-211808.html)

MARTINSR 01-05-2012 10:53 AM

Interesting heater problem with my Rambler, any ideas?

http://theamcforum.com/forum/odd-hea...opic35645.html

Humor me, go to the above link and check out my problem and tell me what you think.

Brian

boothboy 01-05-2012 11:25 AM

Does this problem happen only when all three controls are activated? If you use only the vent and not the heat valve and blower control, does it still over heat? What kind of heater valve is used? Two things come to mind to check. Pull your thermostat out and see if there is any diff. Make sure your water pump is pushing water. Interesting!

T-bucket23 01-05-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
http://theamcforum.com/forum/odd-hea...opic35645.html

Humor me, go to the above link and check out my problem and tell me what you think.

Brian

Sounds to me like when you have the heater valve open it is not circulating enough water through the radiator to cool the engine. I wonder if there is supposed to be some sort of restriction to limit the flow into the heater core that is missing.

If you open the vent it is basically running outside air through the heater instead of recirculating inside air. The outside air is probably cool enough to use the heater core to cool the engine.
When it is over heating look in the radiator and see if it is circulating. Also check the temp of the radiator, I bet is is fairly cool and not seeing much circulation.

Is the heat real hot, I bet it will blow you out of the car.
You could prove this by putting a pair of the rubber brake line crimping pliers or something similar on the heater hose to restrict the flow.

Edit: I am wondering if your radiator is plugged. I quick test is after it it warmed up well check the center of the radiator to see if it is as hot as the tanks. We used to check them by putting them in the sun for 15 minutes, they would heat up pretty good the run a hose with cold water into the top and see if the core cooled off as fast as the tanks. If they were plugged there would be hot spots.

MRTS33 01-05-2012 06:33 PM

I agree with Chet on the radiator. Also verify the control valve. Is it open when you think its shut? Just an idea!

MARTINSR 01-05-2012 06:56 PM

Guys you missed the most interesting thing, the heater works just fine. I open the heater control valve via the heater control, it works fine and the motor doesn't heat up when using it. So there is nothing wrong with the water flow (as far as that goes, there STILL could be some goofy thing but not simply because the heater control valve is open) and I have vacuumed out the cooling system twice with the control valve open just to be sure.

There is no drop in coolent in the rad when the heater is being used. The rad was checked out by a rad shop (friend of mine) but yeah, there could be something, not counting that out completely.

The problem occurs when the VENT to the cowl vent scoop is opened. When the cold air is ADDED is when the motors heat rises!

Brian

boothboy 01-05-2012 08:31 PM

So with the blower motor off and the heater valve in the closed position the engine temp raises and lowers with just opening and closing the vent?

boothboy 01-05-2012 08:49 PM

I did have one other thought and your not going to like it.

Your Rambler heater is possessed by Space Aliens. If that's the case your S.O.O.L.

Dave57210 01-05-2012 09:15 PM

Rambler heater

Quote:

Originally Posted by boothboy
I did have one other thought and your not going to like it.

Your Rambler heater is possessed by Space Aliens. If that's the case your S.O.O.L.

I was gonna suggest demonic possession......

OK - just to see if I have this right - when there is COLD air going thru the heater core, the little Flathead 6 overheats, but when there is NO cold air going thru the heater core, the engine works just fine. (Are you sure this isn't a British car?)

Ok, ya got me! I'd have thot that the engine should run EVEN COOLER in that scenario. There is something bass ackwards about this.....

MARTINSR 01-05-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boothboy
So with the blower motor off and the heater valve in the closed position the engine temp raises and lowers with just opening and closing the vent?

No, it only happens if the vent is open and the heater control valve is open. And you know what, today I drove all the way home with it like this blowing that cabin hotter than hell and the engine didn't overheat. I am wondering if it was because I hit all the lights and didn't stop with it idling? Hmmmm

Brian

T-bucket23 01-06-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
No, it only happens if the vent is open and the heater control valve is open. And you know what, today I drove all the way home with it like this blowing that cabin hotter than hell and the engine didn't overheat. I am wondering if it was because I hit all the lights and didn't stop with it idling? Hmmmm

Brian

For some reason your radiator is not getting the coolant through it so it can cool it. The heater it would seem is attempting to cool the engine under certain circumstances.
If you turn the heater off completely does it still over heat. Does the heater fan have any impact on engine temp. When the heater is helping to cool the car, turn off the fan and leave all other controls alone and see what happens. If the temp goes up then the radiator and fan are not doing their jobs

boothboy 01-06-2012 07:43 AM

Actually what you need to do is first install a reliable mechanical temp gauge and see what your temps really are. You do need to make sure your water pump is actually moving water. You might try reversing your heater hoses. A Laser thermometer is a very handy diagnostic tool for heating problems.

MARTINSR 01-06-2012 11:54 AM

Chet, the heater works perfectly fine and the engine doesn't overheat. I used it for months without an issue, until one day I pushed in the vent control opening it, the engine heat maxed out when I did this.

I did notice last night on the way home it didn't happen, but I didn't stop at any stop lights. This morning without a doubt stopping at the lights made all the difference. I am thinking a fan shroud may make all the difference. But I STILL am befuddled as to how with the vent open it overheats while with the vent closed it doesn't. It should be the other way around!

Brian

MARTINSR 02-15-2012 08:30 PM

Just an update.

I still haven't done a full on test, just leaving the car idle and see what effects the engine temp. But I have noticed on the way to work that in real slow traffic the heat will rise no matter if the vent is open or not, if the heater is on, the heat will rise.

I don't understand why the heater adding MORE cooling would cause this so I am still stumped. I vacuumed out the system again just to be sure so there are no air pockets. I am stumped.

Brian

ogre 02-16-2012 10:46 AM

if your running an electric fan: re-position your fan sensor. maybe the super cooled water from the heater core return is affecting your fan sensor, turning the fan off.

if your running a belt driven fan: alien gremlins, you're screwed. :D

MARTINSR 02-16-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogre
if your running an electric fan: re-position your fan sensor. maybe the super cooled water from the heater core return is affecting your fan sensor, turning the fan off.

if your running a belt driven fan: alien gremlins, you're screwed. :D

LOLOL, electric fan, oh you are funny. Not only are we talking about a belt driven fan, we are talking a fan that has two pieces of metal that each make up two blades. They are laying one on top of the other making an "X" for the four blades. :D

Brian