This is interesting. Temporary peel off paint. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2005, 03:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This is interesting. Temporary peel off paint.

http://www.maskin.com/maskin/corporate/en/ I just did a search on vehicle lettering and came across this. I was thinking of putting some advertising on my car for when I go to a car show tommorrow to hopefully get a job or two to do. I haven't done much to my truck which I eventually would like to do something nice with paint wise and put lettering on the windows. Now if this were available in the us, looks like it would be kinda neat. Could paint something crazy on the car, and not have to worry about living with it, like pink or something that stood out. I think this could be an extra money maker for someone who owned a bodyshop also. Or you could paint your car, cause trouble and run from the cops, lose them and peel it off and they will be looking for a different color car. Just kiddin. Just thought it may interest someone who hasn't seen it. I wonder how much it is? No I am not involved in any way with akzo nobel.
Found another site http://www.magiccolors.net/paintrans.html
Maybe this has been available for awhile and I just never heard of it. I am assuming it is something like booth coating is.

Advertisement

Last edited by kenseth17; 08-06-2005 at 03:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

Reminds me of the Countach in Cannonball Run II

Could be fun to experiment with.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

I read over the website for Magic Colors and contacted them for more information. With their permission, here are my questions and their responses. Very friendly folks.

DISCLAIMER: I have no vested interest in this company or products. I am just sharing my Q&A I had regarding their products.

Hello Frank, you have asked some good questions here so I will attempt to answer each of them:

* How do the colors hold up? We use the finest pigments available with our paint. These pigments are the same quality as the finest urethanes. We have to grind them in a very special way to allow our paint to work the way it does. Our paint wont fade any faster than what you have been using.
* I know these are really intended for temporary use, but just curious if it fades much or chalks? The paint is not a waterbased paint...so you wont have to be concerned about the chalking issue. The paint is very durable an can last years if desired. Clear coating helps protect the paint even more and yet can still be completely removed when needed. Some artist have used our paint because they like being able to spray in any environment they wish. If the project needs to be permanent...you can use a standard urethane clear coat because it is compatable with our paint.
* I noticed you mention the paint and the remover. Do you reduce the paint with the remover when you apply it or is the remover ONLY for remover? The remover is just used for a remover. We offer a safe reducer that is a med-fast dry reducer. People seem to be very happy with how well it works.
* Does it require a reducer? Depending on what the project is and what equipment is being used determines what ratio of paint to reducer would be preferred. I have some companies who use our paint in the movie industry to paint entire vehicles and sometimes they've just upped the pressure to reduce the time they spend applying coats. They are always under the gun with time issues....so they have sprayed our paint without reducers and have been pleased with the results. We suggest for airbrush artist to begin with a 1:1 ratio and go from there. When spraying the clear....a 3:1 ratio seems to work well for many artist.
* I assume I can shoot it like any other paint with a regular HVLP gun? Correct.
* When removing, will the remover harm any surfaces? Does it attack rubber, plastic, urethane, chrome, flat finishes or anything? The remover will not harm sealed surfaces or clearcoats. Certain types of clear plastic can cloud with our remover because the remover contains a unique blend of alcohol. We always suggest testing the remover in an inconspicuous area when in doubt.You do not want to use the remover on vinyl graphics or pinstriping, nor do you want to use it on oil based enamels. To date....I'm not aware of any problems other than the ones mentioned.
*Are there more instructions than what are shown in the FAQ on the website? Yes, we offer instructions when we send our paint to a customer. Fairly simple and really not much different than what you are currently doing with paint. The difference is the safety issue compared to urethanes. Using a waterbased paint requires many additional steps to ensure they will work. Our paint does not require all these additional steps...very easy to use.
* How would I order? Do you take CC? Do you take Paypal?
We have two versions of permanent / removable paint. It will be helpful for me to understand what type of application you are interested in using our paint for. For now....I'm going to assume you may be wanting to use it for an automotive type surface...that would be our Lacquerol paint. An amazing paint that works like a premium urethane but without any of the hazards associated with using them. You can even polish this paint to a mirror like shine. We also have an outstanding clear that will enhance the shine of the surface and that too can be polished using a polishing compound.

Because we are actively involved in negotiating with some of the paint giants...we have not developed a large distribution network. So for now...you can purchase our paint directly through me and eliminate the middle man.

A pint sells for $19.00 A quart goes for $33.00 and a gallon sells for $125.00

The remover sells for $15.00 a pint. $26.00 a quart and $95.00 a gallon.

You can call or email me with your order request, I'd be happy to assist you with that. We are in the process of changing CC companies...so for now, just send us a check and that would be fine. We can discuss shipping charges when you decide on what you want.

Ok, Frank.....I hope this information has been helpful. I'm more than happy to answer any additional questions you may have. Again....we appreciate your continued effort to learn more about our new paint technology.

Sincerely,
Kevin McDaniel
888-624-4201 ext. 106

www.magiccolors.net
Old 08-11-2005, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Wow, thanks for asking the questions Frank, and you had some good ones. Almost worth buying a pint and trying it out. I am kind of broke right now being unemployed, but would probably try it out. I can see how it would benefit someone learning airbrushing. The price doesn't seem to be out of line, might be a little pricey for a one time design you only want on for a week, but would be worth a little experimentation. They seemed to be helpfull in answering you questions. If you get the opportunity to try this out, please give us you review.

Last edited by kenseth17; 08-11-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

I've got a perfect candidate for it too. I have a 71 Capri that a lot of the paint is still shiny and smooth, but littered with enough dings, fades, and primer spots over dings to really make it look bad. I figure I could shoot it for now and try some cool flame design or other experimentation. If I don't like it, oh well.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

Cool, tell us how it goes. What I don't understand though is how if you want it permenant and you clear coat over it, how you go about it. Clear needs 1000 grit to stick to the car. Find it hard to believe if you didn't sand the car and sprayed it on, then decided you liked the design, how it would stick long term without sanding under where you apply the paint. And how much remover is needed, if you spray a pint of paint, do you need a whole pint to remove it?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.