Interesting treasure I have from a legend. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,118 Times in 994 Posts
Interesting treasure I have from a legend.

Back a number of years ago my brother called a legend in Buick nailhead racing Max Balchowski just to talk with him a little, not thinking he could actually get a hold of him but found a number somewhere and called. He left a voice message and Max had a friend of him call my brother to "screen" him. And next thing you know Max was calling him back and they struck up a little friendship that lasted until Max passed away. During this time Max invited him and I to a few private events he was attending in the SF bay area (at a private collection that was MIND BLOWING) and he came to the Oakland "Grand Nationals" Roadster show when we put his 22 Buick Roadster in it. Walking around with this guy was a mind blower, first off he work coveralls everywhere he went! Yep, he was wearing coveralls at the show! But he knew everyone, he had his shop in Hollywood in the fifties and sixties and knew everyone, it was pretty cool hanging with him. He had a chassis for an unfinished Old Yeller and we dreamt of getting it and building the last Old Yeller, but he held off on that one. He gave my brother a number of things though like one of his own designed intakes and the moulds for his fuel injectors for a Nailhead! This guy was a character of characters, one of the most interesting people I have ever met.
Old Yeller 2 - The Official Website of this Famous Race Car

Not only did he make and race and have other legends drive his cars (Carol Shelby drove Old Yeller a few races) he was involved in movies like "Bullet" setting up the suspensions and motors on the cars for the chase scene! Bullitt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And even crashed an Ol Yeller in a race scene in Elvis' "Viva Las Vegas" and many others! This guy was something else, if you want to read some interesting stuff look him up, he was a character.

Max with his Old Yellers.

I know I have posted about him in the past but don't remember being my brain doesn't work well memory wise. And possibly posted photos of these things I have too, so forgive me if I am going over it again.

But I was cleaning out in the garage and came across these injector stacks that Max gave my brother. Interesting pieces, don't know what the heck I will ever do with them but it would be kinda neat to use them on something.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

Man o man are you having a hell of a weekend Huh? Thank you for the inside view of your past!! Cool stuff my friend !
Old 02-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,118 Times in 994 Posts
I was thinking about Max as I drove around doing some errands this morning and this was such an interesting guy. If you read up on him you will find some hilarious stories. He use to race the Old Yeller on the track with huge dollar Ferrari team cars and stuff like that and win. His first cars especially were "junk yard dogs" hints the name "Old Yeller".

Yes those are early fifties Chevy pickup fenders on the back!

He use to mess with people all the time like when asked about the white walls and why was he running the white walls and he would say "Because they are cheap, I got them at the wreckers" when in reality he had tested and found that those particular tires were the stickiest.

The one I love is when he had an old lady customer at his shop drive Old Yeller to the track for him to race and made a big deal out of how the guys he was beating had full on race cars that were trailered and his was just a street car at the track.

This guy was a kick and a half to be around, he would fit right in here at Hotrodders I'll tell you that.

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.