Hot Rod Forum banner

Interior Carpet installation help

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  slodat 
#1 ·
I am coverting from a rubber floor to a carpet floor. The truck was bought with the flooring not in but I can tell it had rubber flooring. Can anyone tell me what is needed to install carpet and what the door trim looks like once finished? Also the door trim will I need to drill holes?
thanks

Going in a chevy 87 regular cab shortbed stepside

#2 ·
Pretty much the same, except the sill moldings are painted the same as the trim color. If you buy the molded carpet, it will plunk right down on the floor and no cutting is involved. Best to take out the seats, put he bolts back in and lay carpet down, tap the head of the bolts with a hammer, they will leave an impression on the carpet, cut out the piece which will allow the seat studs to peek through, mount seats and do up nuts to tighten seat down.

#4 ·
There's basically two ways to do it. Either you buy carpet already molded to fit your car, or you buy cut yardage and fit it to the vehicle as you go.
If you choose the custom route, you will have to do things like the transmission tunnel first with a separate piece of carpet, and then fit the flat areas up to the tunnel and either sew the carpet together or bind the edges. Go slowly, don't let the carpet move around, and don't make a cut unless you're absolutely sure. I'm sure the internet has videos of carpet layers fitting carpet on a floor in a house. Watch something like that to get fitting and cutting tips. There are threads on binding carpet right here if you search for that topic.

#5 ·
thanks for all the help all.
I need some help on the door sill edges. On the chevy trucks there is a metal modling strip that goes down. My truck was rubber matting and did not have this. I assume I need to drill the holes. Does anyone have photos of this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.