Hot Rod Forum banner

Interior Door Trim

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  horvath 
#1 ·
The car came with a very narrow and square finish at the top of the door on the inside. Not only would this not look good but would also be uncomfortable! So, I got foam insulation from Lowes and cut and formed then to the shape I wanted.
I then covered them with fiberglass cloth and epoxy and then
the fun began. Lots of sanding and filling to get them straight but I think it was worth the effort. A few coats of black with some wet sanding in between should give me a mirror finish.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice work on the door panels, please post more pics as you progress. I am currently at this stage in my build and I am looking for all the ideas I can find on door panel design. I really like what I see in your work.

Did you change the design of your console? I was looking at your photo gallery and there are some pics of a fiberglass console that look different.

Vince

#5 ·
Thanks

Thanks all for the kind comments. I'm in the process of doing the armrests and will post some pics of those soon.

Vince,
I changed the design of the center console to the one pictured. Been putting off finishing it as I don't have a radio for it yet and I'm still not decided on how to finish it. I will probably paint it black with an aluminum face.
Thanks
Bill

Attachments

#6 ·
I have a console design firmed up in the flesh, but I am not too pleased with it. It takes up far too much room in my 34 3 window. I think I can slim it down a bit. I need to put the radio, A/C controls, ign switch, headlamp switch, 12v power plug, and door window switches in it. I may decide to reroute the door window switches to the door panels, but that requires more wires to run to the back of the passenger compartment.

Vince

#7 ·
If you have pics that show your process, step by step, like a tutorial, I'd sure love to learn how to do what you do!
:D

I'm thinking about incorporating my interior window trim into the top of my door panels to make them one piece ... fiberglassing may be an answer but I've never done it before. What you did with your top panels came out really nice!!!

#8 ·
The Process

1: The foam is available at Lowes or Home Depot. It comes in different thickness so pick the one that will suit your project best. Cut the ruff shape with a utility knife the start shaping it with 80 grit sand paper on a sanding block.
2: You have to use epoxy to coat the foam as fiberglass resin
will immediately eat the foam! I found my epoxy (medium set)
at Boater World made by MAS Epoxy. You will also need fiberglass cloth which is much easy to use than fiberglass mat.This is also available from the marine store or on ebay.
3:Mix the epoxy as indicated (try not to waste it, its expensive) and spread it on the foam with an acid brush. When its all coated place your glass cloth over it and apply more epoxy. Once its dry block sand it lightly. At this point
I use body filler and sand reapplying filler till its smooth. I then prime it and apply a guide coat and sand with 180 grit
and repeat this again until there are no low spots and then finish with 320 grit. Its then ready for you paint finish.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.