interior insulation - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I found some aluminumized insulation blanket at a metal building erector. It is the stuff you see on the insides of metal buildings underneath the chicken wire looking wire that holds it in place. It is about 1/2" thick double sided aluminum and is very affordable. The firms name is Metal Depot, I do not know if this is a chain or not.

Found a link to the stuff

http://www.metaldepotinc.com/insulation.htm

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2004, 05:33 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

There is an extensive article on interior insulation in the latest Popular Hot Rodding...
Old 06-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

We had a beautiful Summer day here yesterday, so I had some fun in the sun and finished insulating my truck-interior behind the seats. This is just "Phase One" where I've sealed up the floors and laid cotton-fiber jute.

You can see pics, etc. Here

"Phase Two" will occur after I find the powered (low back) seats I want to install -- THEN I'm gonna put foil-backed insulation (Home Depot sells it for water heaters) on top the the cotton-fiber jute. THEN I'll lay my carpet, put in the seats and start making interior panels.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 07-14-2004, 07:27 PM

Hello, Im new here and I have a 240Z which is going to have a 350ci SBC and Im currently redoing the interior. I decided just to add on to this post because I have just got done por15ing my floorpans due to all the rust and are about to remove the dash and wires so I can install some insulation+Dynamat. Now 240Z have a knack for getting the interior cabins hot, real quick and was wondering what should I lay down first? The Dynamat then insulation(which I have no clue what kind to get) or insulation and put Dynamat over it. I was thinking that the Dynamat goes first but don't know how well it will hold up on the firewall and transmission tunnel as they get hot. Will this be a problem?

Thanks
Matt
Old 07-15-2004, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mateo240Z
Hello, Im new here and I have a 240Z which is going to have a 350ci SBC and Im currently redoing the interior. I decided just to add on to this post because I have just got done por15ing my floorpans due to all the rust and are about to remove the dash and wires so I can install some insulation+Dynamat. Now 240Z have a knack for getting the interior cabins hot, real quick and was wondering what should I lay down first? The Dynamat then insulation(which I have no clue what kind to get) or insulation and put Dynamat over it. I was thinking that the Dynamat goes first but don't know how well it will hold up on the firewall and transmission tunnel as they get hot. Will this be a problem?

Thanks
Matt
You wont have a problem with the heat and a dynamat material. You may also want to look at the b-quiet extreme. Its cheaper and as good as dynamat.

http://www.b-quiet.com/extreme.html

Jerry
Old 07-15-2004, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

I would think the Dynamat would be all you need.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 07-22-2004, 08:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Sound Deadning

I think this stuff is what you guys want.

Polymeric Mastic
0.070" 32" x 54"
-30 to +300 F
0.7 lb/sq.ft.
9709T19
$14.62

I have 3 sheets of this stuff that I have yet to put in. I have seen other installations using this stuff and it works very well and is very cheep. It looks, feels, handles, and installs just like "Dynamat" only for about 1/6 the price.

I have used roofing stuff before (I used Peel & Seal) but it didn't stick to well (other then that it works good). It did stick like mad on top of the noise killer paint even in hot SoCal summers fwiw.

I have also used some stuff called "Noise Killer" paint
http://www.noisekiller.com/Products.htm (I have about 6 coats on the back wall, roof, & floor of my s10)

It worked real well but I think this stuff form McMaster-Carr is the same stuff for less $.

This is a link to the catalog page with both the polymeric mastic and the deadning paint
http://www.mcmaster.com/pdf/110/3270.pdf
Old 12-15-2004, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

What do you guys suggest for insulating and sound dampening the doors and the sides of the vehicle? I have a noisey 57 nomad.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:16 AM
GreaseMonkey

I use roofing materials, there are these rools of roofing mastic that have this aluminum foil face, the mastic is very thin, the mastic side has some very excellent glues to it. It comes in 3 inches up to 1 foot wide. I like the aluminum side of it because it helps in the insulation factors. I have also been known to use this on floors of trunks and the floor of car for more of noise barrier that heat barrier.

I am sure others have favorite products.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:42 AM
1949 Chevy Truck

I have bought it about a foot wide @ Lowes. Cheap and did a good job. I even put it in the door which made a big difference when you closed the door. (No more tin can sound on my 49)

I have bought it about a foot wide @ Lowes. Cheap and did a good job. I even put it in the door which made a big difference when you closed the door. (No more tin can sound on my 49)
Old 12-16-2004, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

Hey, BigMac

Do you have any pictures of what you did?

Where, on the doors, did you place it? I'm getting ready to do my door panels ... do I put this on the door, UNDER the door panel??

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 12-16-2004, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by BigMac

I got mine at lowes I asked for a price check on a roll aboujt 18 in by some 60feet and he said $5.00 a said I would take both rolls. I used in on the inner door panel on my 50 f1 and it made a big difference. What I did was to cut it to length and then I took a propane torch and heated it till it got soft and tacky and it stuck and held like it was from the facotry.

Quote:
Originally posted by horvath
Hey, BigMac

Do you have any pictures of what you did?

Where, on the doors, did you place it? I'm getting ready to do my door panels ... do I put this on the door, UNDER the door panel??

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
I put it behind the door panel on my 50 f1 I do plan to put in on the floor and roof before carpet and insulation. Ed ke6bnl
Old 12-16-2004, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

Anyone know another option for where I can get jute? I went to Home Depot and Lowes today and I could tell by the look on their faces, that they didn't really know what I was talking about. Despite that, I looked all over for it in the store and couldn't find it. I like the idea of jute on the floor, then the lowes double foil sided insulation for the floor and the sides. The only thing I could find that you could wrap a hot water heater with is the water heater blanket. I guess jute and water heater insulation are not high-demand items here in the south. Heating up stuff with a propane torch sounds like something I would hurt myself with. Besides, my one hour of free time a day (and my pregnant wife) wouldn't allow me enough time to do it. Someone suggested to me that I also stuff jute inside the walls of the interior. Is that a good idea? I am a first-timer.

Last edited by Chevydee; 12-16-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:18 PM

Last photo:

Chevydee

Don't use Jute on the floors, it holds moisture like a sponge. It will rust your floors out in no time.
If you want something like Jute, indoor /outdoor "astroturf" style carpet works great, put it down so the backing is up. That way, if it does get wet, air can circulate in the nap to dry it.
You won't need anything else.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

I got my jute at Home Depot ... in the carpet department. Look at all their rug underlayment stuff -- they only have two kinds ... one is the sponge rubber (junk) ... the other is all gray cotton with threads of different colors mixed in -- that's the jute.

It's only gonna hold moisture if moisture gets into it ... if you do things right, you shouldn't be getting it wet, eh?

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.