Interior insulation Report - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Electrolytic rust removal
Last journal entry: 2.75 in..3.50 posi out
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Good advice, thanks. I think I will wait until I get the beast driving on the road and try a little at a time. I'm going to a roofing supply house and check on what butyl products they might have. I have read elsewhere that i may indeed NOT have to cover every square inch to help eliminate drone and vibration noise; a smaller amount may interrupt the sound waves enough. I will keep a record as to what I use and how well it worked...So the asphalt type peel and seal you used on your truck has NO smell after being left in the heat?
thanks,
James

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 06:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 OLDROD
QUESTION: Did you use the sound coat first and then the heat part? I screwed up and revered mine so I guess you could me put in the dummy section to. The directions were not very clear like now after I called to get a part for the gun (bad threads) and told them what i was doing and was told I did it back ward but it still would work fine just not as good on the sound as the heat part. oh did you Waite 24 hr between coats or just pile it on? oh yea a cup or two of water will make it spray a lot better also a strainer if it has set a spell before use.I like some others are waiting for warmer weather 21 snow&sleet on the grown today and before some of you fellows up north tell me that an't swat come on down and try to drive on a 1" of ice on top snow. so that said I will know how good it works this summer.

later OLDROD
Sound first, only have to wait 12 hours per label,
Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollinsmoke
Sound first, only have to wait 12 hours per label,
I guess they have change the directions again as the owner or so he claimed to be told me it needed to cure 24 hrs. I used the LS so I woun't have to mess with the other stuff . glue peal stick ect. oh will I guess I'll see in 4 or 5 month.

OLDROD
Old 02-03-2010, 08:40 PM

as with most other products I guess weather/humidity and temp have a WHOLE LOT to do with it.

I'll stick with my Dynamat.

BTW, to whoever was taling about not covering the entire panel: YOU ARE CORRECT!! Drop a pice in the middle of the inside of an old door about 6" x 6" and you can feel the difference. I would've loved to had a decimometer to see how much the sound level(s) changed....
Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Spa Mercenary

Last journal entry: Updates July 2012
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ3100
Sometimes a square foot in the middle of a large panel (in this case panel is a large area of unsupported sheet metal) is all it takes. You could buy a roll of P&S and experiment with a side panel. Thump it with a knuckle and listen, then add some P&S to the middle of that panel and thump it again. It might not take as much as you think.
I was thinking about this comment yesterday as I tore into a 97 GMC extended cab. I'm going to take the cab off to use the chassis for a street rod project but I was scavenging a bunch of stuff out of the interior. It was interesting to take note of how a "modern" car company insulates their interior. The rear cab panels had a small square of very thin adhesive padding in the center - this must be for acoustic insulation only. (just like you said in your post) No attempt at thermal insulation in the walls. The ceiling had nothing but the headliner - but it was a 1/4 think material kind of like hi tech hardboard. Probably does a good job of both thermal and acoustic. The floor pan and firewall was where any and all technology was. Three types of material on the pan plus the carpet creates about 1.5" thick of sound and thermal barrier. Firewall has yet another type of foam/pad applied to it but not with much adhesive - mostly just hanging from hooks or sandwiched between the metal and the HVAC system.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:16 AM

Last photo:

Raamat is THE stuff. Best cost/performance ratio in the marketplace. Service is fast and excellent.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 AM

Last photo:

As a side note I did months of research on the sound/thermal treatment before doing the entire interior of a Porsche 928. My goal was to get as close as possible to what I consider the "standard" for interior comfort, the BMW 7 series. An incredible and dramatic difference after the treatment.
I'll do a write up on the whole theory and methods that I employed. Right now it's late
David

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.