Hot Rod Forum banner

Interior panel material.. Komatex soften in high heat climate?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  live4soccer7 
#1 ·
I'm re-doing the interior of my 4runner and all the panels are pretty much perfectly flat. I've been looking at different materials and I see a lot of guys here are using komatex or similar. I've never actually used it, which is one of the reasons I'm asking these questions.

I want to mount speakers in the panels (6.5", 4", and tweeter)
In the back, I will have pockets built in to the panels to utilize some of the bed wall space. If the komatex softens at all I feel with the weight of these additional items incorporated in to the material will cause failure in a high temp climate.

I was going to use 1/8" (about 3mm) as that is what a lot of the original panels were and I'd like the other trim pieces that go around the paneling to still be able to fit, even if a little snug.

It can get above 100F here, so inside a vehicle it can get pretty hot if it is just sitting outside for extended amounts of time without it running with AC or airflow from windows. Will the komatex soften up in such a scenario?

Other matierals I've considered: FRP or Aluminum
My complaint about aluminum is that it will "dent" if something hits it where the Komatex would simply bounce back. It will be upholstered with something (not sure yet).

I don't really want any type of cardboard type of material and I' going to a waterproof panel that won't deteriorate with moisture.

Maybe someone here can provide some insight on this. Thanks and any input is very much appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. I decided to give it a shot a few days after that post. I've already made up most of the panels. Well cut them out. They still need fine tuning, upholstry, and a few bells and whistles.

The stuff was super easy to work with. Now I just need to find a way to make my longer panels in the back a little more rigid since they don't have any bends in them.

Ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.