Interior panels? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 05:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Interior panels?

I'm going to attempt doing the interior of my 30 coupe over. I've gone through the bulletin board and got some good ideas and info but I'm a little confused as to which is better to use for the panel material. ABS, PVC, or Masonite? I also plan on the interior being pleated and would like to know what is the best type foam to use and I seen it mentioned you can get this pre-cut for the pleats, If so where can you get it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

Try http://yourautotrim-store.stores.yah.../illusion.html as for panel material. I am old school=Masonite chip board type products on flat panels. The plastics can be used on curved panels. One piece headliners etc.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

interior panels

Thank You Excellent site
Old 11-16-2006, 10:33 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Its really personal preference. I use PVC, never cared for ABS. Theres pros and cons to everything. Find what you like and use that. The PVC and ABS will defintely be alot more expensive than masonite, i dont know the price of masonite, but the plastic is probably gonna be double the price.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Personally I like door skin over masonite if I am to use a wood based product..it is 1/8 ply and has a bit of bendability to it and will hold up better than masonite to vibration and getting wet..plus it glues nice and does not cost all that much..most lumber yards have it..

Sam
Old 11-17-2006, 06:32 AM

Last photo:

interior panels

Thanks for the the info. I think I'm going to try the PVC. What is the best adheisive for foam? I read in tha articles some use foam fast but I can,t seem to locate it anywhere.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:34 AM

Last journal entry: Latest picture
Last photo:

I use 1/8 Baltic birch plywood, then laminate thick upholstery cardboard over the plywood. This hides the clips and prevents them from showing through to the finished side. Landau foam is then glued over the cardboard. Just remember to sand the foam before you glue it, or else the mill finish on it will peel off.
I don't like door skins because they are usually made from mahogany , and tend to split on the edges. Dan
www.geocities.com/dantechfab
Old 11-17-2006, 09:22 AM

Good old black waterproof panel board from your local upholstery supply house will be the best material for door panels and any other panel with possible exposure to rain. For kick panels and quarter panels and rear compartment panels luan plywood wil do just fine.
The upholstery supply house can fix you up with foam in varying densities.
Don't forget to glue in a moisture barrier on the door before you install the door panels. This plastic sheet will prevent water coming down through the windows from affecting your panels.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ'S30
Thanks for the the info. I think I'm going to try the PVC. What is the best adheisive for foam? I read in tha articles some use foam fast but I can,t seem to locate it anywhere.
Whatever you use, do not be duped into using 3M's #77, it will not hold. 3M does have an excellent glue for foam I believe it is #90.

Vince
Old 11-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Black waterboard, PVC foamboard (like PVC sheet stock but half the weight and cost), and ABS are all good for door panels. Waterboard is the cheapest, ABS is the most expensive. PVC foamboard expands and contracts slightly, so keep that in mind when using it. It can also be heat formed and vacuum formed, which can be a plus in some applications. The problem with the plastics is the shipping can be super high unless there's a supplier near you. For gluing foam together, I use K-grip by the gallon with a Critter sprayer, and for contact cement I use DAP Weldwood top and trim adhesive in a pressure pot. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:41 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I am not a Pro at Upholstery, but I was looking for ideas so I went inot Barnes and Noble this week and bought a Book by Ron Mangus "Custom Auto Interiors"- I would highly recommend you read it (it has a lot of good information)-

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Auto-In.../dp/1931128014
Old 11-17-2006, 06:34 PM

Just my 2 cents but we use 98% ABS as is the most money but what I tell my customers is you get what you pay for. Keep in mind if you use Black cardboard,or any type of wood product the moisture will rot,warp and when you need to pull the panal off to service the inside the clips tend to rip right out of these types of boards. The clips hold well and you will always have a stright board to look at. Depending on your style you can buy pre-sewn pleats and panals that are cut down to fit you custom made board.
Regards
Jason

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 11-17-2006 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Advertising
Old 11-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

TrimTech..........Please read the site rules and policy regarding advertising.....Please remove your business url's Thank You Don't advertise your business. If you are affiliated with an automotive business, you may not post contact information for that business on public board posts, in your custom user title, or in your avatar. Business contact information includes, but is not limited to: physical addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, and URLs. Stating the name of your business is allowed, as long as the name of your business is not identical to any business contact information. If you are affiliated with an automotive business website, you may post that website's URL in your user profile page, and then you may refer people to your user profile page if your services are relevant to their question.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

interior panels

Thanks everyone for the responses. It really helped .
Old 11-18-2006, 06:35 AM

Last journal entry: comming along
Last photo:

I did an interior in My Honda DelSol before I sold it. I used the 3M77. It works good at first, but if it gets hot out it has starts to get soft and starts to come apart. I wrote to that Gabes Custom Interiors from that show American Hot Rod. I did get a responce as to the glue they use. I was told that they use Dap contact adhesive. I was told by one of the Sons that it doesn't soften up in the heat like 3M's does..

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.