Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Interior panels?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

All you need for panel thickness is 1/8", whether it is black waterboard, ABS, Masonite, or PVC foamboard. That is a personal preference. What I say next is also a personal preference. Others may like something else, but what I like are long Au-ve-co offset clips. I drill or punch a 1/2" hole 5/8" (horizontally) away from where I want the the clip to go. I put the clips in after the door panel is upholstered. (don't glue the foam, whether it is open or closed cell foam, or whatever padding you choose, 2" around the holes so the clips are easily maneuverable (Is that spelled right?) ) Then I don't have to deal with the clips in the panel while I put the foam and fabric (fabric, vinyl, Ultraleather, or leather) together. Also, the clips are easily swiveled to hit the holes in the door, and do not bind horizontally or vertically. In other words, the clips are not installed into the panel until I'm ready to install it, and are easy to adjust. PERSONAL PREFERENCE. This works well for me, but you may like another method. KristKustoms: Please jump in here with both feet! There is no one perfect way to do ANYTHING. Remember: check how much thickness is allowable IN YOUR CAR before you do the door panels. There is nothing worse that doing a perfect set of door panels and not being able to close the doors when you're done.