Hot Rod Forum banner

interior trim

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
started working on the last remaining interior trim on my coupe. had to use 1/4" bendable plywood. I wanted 1/8" but local lumber yard had a half sheet of 1/4" so i made it work. Had to fabricate some curved wood brackets to fit the curve of the coupe and added more blocking around the windows.
Once that was all dry I started adding the plywood, using glue and a pin nailer.
after letting each side dry i used a trim router and ratary rasp to cut out the window opening and fine tune the curves to fit the metal trim pieces in. Last week i used foam to fill in some of the gaps between the plywood and window blocking then a thin layer of body filler to smoth out the curves before gluing on the 1/4" foam backing.
This weekend i finished gluing on the fabric and trimming around the windows, rolling the foam and fabric into the window opening and stapling it all the wood backers. this is my 3rd weekend working on this project hope to finish installing the metal trim next week and adding some welting along the headliner and panels.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I take it this is a model "A", or something of that era. Next time you want something bendable, buy some 1/8" or 1/4" PVC foamboard. All you have to do is bend it and heat it up and it will hold its shape. It will weigh 1/4th of the wood you used, and cost less than half of the price of the wood.

The picture is of a piece of 3MM (1/8") PVC foamboard rolled into a circle without even using any heat.

Attachments

Reactions: sportcoupe
#5 ·
What is the paper for? I would check at a sign shop or a sheet plastic supplier. The stuff I get is called Palight, and has a protective plastic cover on one side, but that just peels off.

#7 ·
That's not what you want to use. Anything that can be affected by water or freezing and thawing is not what you should use on a car interior. Quick question: If the stuff at the art supply store corrugated? If so, you definitely have the wrong thing. The stuff I'm talking about is solid.

#11 ·
trim paint

Spent the day painting my window trim for the two quarters and rear window of my coupe. Daytona 500 also on so i painted in between watching the race. three coats of high build urethane primer, final sand with 400 grit then three coats of HOC candy apple red and two coats of clear. due to the fact that we have 4' of snow outside i painted in my garage and couldn't open the door. made due with my little exhaust fan.
I'll let them dry for a couple of days and get all the trim back in this week. Been working on this section all month and almost done.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.